5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox Body Factory Sunroof location

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM
phalemba

Default Fox Body Factory Sunroof location

Cut a sunroof out of a junked Mustang and now I need to position it on my 1985 GT. I need a center of the car measurement from the windshield edge to the edge of the sunroof opening. I neglected to get this measurement when I cut the roof out of the junked car. Looking for a measurement that is accurate to within 1/8 inch so that all of the stock interior pieces line up.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

first off, welcome to the forums. Quick question though, what are you doing for the drans in the sunroof? My old sunroof car leaked even with the drains. I'm sure someone that still ahs a sunroof will chime in soon enough
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

Yeah dont bother with the sunroof. Even with new seals they leak especially in the car washes. I wish I could remove mine completely.

I'll go measure mine this afternoon and get you the measurements if you want
Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

After I put the new weatherstripping on mine it never leaked. Well not from the edges, it leaked a little through the latch but I never messed with resealing it. Give me some time and when I go outside I will measure mine for ya. Also don't forget to reinforce your roof if you do install it.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
phalemba

Yes, please send to me the measurements. I have some time off during the holidays and want to get started on the project. The finished install should look factory.

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM
phalemba

projectresto83

Please send to me the sumroof location measurements when you have a minute. I am hoping to get started on the project of welding in the sunroof right after the holidays.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Crap, yea I forgot about it, sorry. I will do it today and take some pics of where the measuring starts and ends at for ya. I have to uncover the car so I can put some more stuff in it that I picked up yesterday.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Mine doesn't leak either,but then again it hasn't been washed in 3 years and never sees rain.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Alright, the first pictures are to show where I started and stopped my measurements on the body contours but follow the measurements below for where its actually measured.

This is color coded with the measurements down below it.

BLUE: 6 1/2 measured thru hinge mounts on sunroof glass
RED: 5 3/16-5 1/4 (varied a little with body contour) its centered on the roof
GREEN: 16 measured through the center of the glass
PINK: 15 7/8 measured through center of hatch mounting holes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:24 PM
phalemba

Default Thanks

Thanks for the measurements. All I have to locate the roof is the steel section that I cut out of the donor car and the center of the windshield location on the car I am welding the roof section into. Since both the sunroof opening and the windshield have arcs to their shape the center of the car is the best point to get a measurement. I hate to ask you to do this again but if possible take measurement in the center of the car from the windshield crease to the crease in the sunroof opening. You can use the front hinges of the sunroof to help find the center of the car.

Quick Reply: Fox Body Factory Sunroof location