5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

*#*guys i need help quick!*#* switch help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Default *#*guys i need help quick!*#* switch help!

ok, my car goes on the road in 2 days... but my dad wont let me get it on the road untill i get the gauges i put in the dash light up! so i have a red positivee wire and a black negative and im trying to hook it up to one of the switches on the dash, now theres one empty switch not being used, i'd like to put it in that for now but it seems to be stoppped by sumthing looking from the side you can see a plastic thing blocking it from moving, can som1 please tell me how to remove that so i can get the switch working?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: guys i need help quick!

are these gauges like white face?? like for the speedo and tach??? if so all u have to do is tap in to the original light switch, thats all i did on mine and they work fine!! just use a test lite and find out what one is the ground and what one is the positive, splice the wire back, dont cut it just shave the plastic casin that is around the wire to u can see the bare wire, make sure u shave all the way around, then all u have to do it twist the wire apart like just sping it so it comes un braded, and stick the end of the wire for your dashlights in it and twist it up, make sure u test it to make sure it works before u seal it back up, then just get some electrical tape and rap it nice and tight!!! then your good to go!! dont have to worry about another switch, oh and by the way the switch u where talking about is just a dummy switch, wontwork even if u get it to move, depends on what car u have, on the right side u have the 4 ways, and the convertable top button and on the left side u got the lights then the fog lights for the GT, I hope that helped you out if not post and ill see if i can help some more!! GOOD LUCK!~
Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

ok these guages are the white faced ones like you said they just go over the original ones, but what color wires did you splice them too? does it matter which wire? because i have 2 wires and i dont know what to do with both of them, do i just splice them to 2 different wires?

another question, least of my worries but, if its a dummy switch why are there 2 wires going into the back of it? (a orange and a blue one, both skinny not a thick wire)

(edit) - added question
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

the red wire will go to the positive wire on the back of your lite switch, and the black is the ground, DONT PUT THEM TOGATHER!!!
use a test lite, if u dont have one go to the part store and get one there CHEAP! find out what one is the power and what one is the ground, then do as i explain in the last post, u should have no problem, i cant remmeber but there should only be 2 wires on the back of the lite switch, so all u have you have to do is find the hot one, ground the test light and poke the test like tip through the wire and it should lite up,
im not sure why theres a wires going up to a dumy switch, unless some one that had the car before u was playin around.

let me know,

GOod luck! take your time!!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for your quick responses, im going to go take another look, i might have a test light in the shed!
I hope this works, as you can see im not an electrician lol.
But i have about an hour to get this thing done before work tonight and if i dont get it done i got late tonight and tomarow, but I want this out of the way since i had plans to go to splish splash the day i get my car on the road!
I appreciate your help!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

NO Prob!! thats what where here for!

Ill send u the Bill!!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

lol, luckily i found a meter in my shed same thing as a test light exept without the light but using a meter instead lol, i found which light is the headlights and which is the running lights so i used the running lights as the positive wire
Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

Good Job!! i knew u could Do it!! [sm=bling.gif]
Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

ok now, the only thing is the guages came with a transformer kind of thing, the 2 wires from the guages go into it and the + and - wire come out and 2 other black wires that are connected by the black rubber... this ends with a connector that has 2 prong like metal things comming out, this was supposed to have a little green button that you push to make it light up and turn off when u push that... the only problem is i dont like that switch and i want to bypass it, i cut the prong pieces off, and tried twisting the 2 together, but even when theres power it wont work, you have to take the wires apart and touch them, once touched it will light up and u can take them apart... it wont work if i cut before this transformer thing,, what can i do please help?!?!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

that transfomer thing is the module the will make the white faces light up, u have to have that!!!! or they wont light up, it converts the current down to what the gauges need to work! so u better hook it back in or it wont work!!

Quick Reply: *#*guys i need help quick!*#* switch help!