5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hard shifting tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 AM
93 stallion
1st Gear Member

Default hard shifting tranny

Went to the race tonight wasn't happy with my shifting. My gears r so hard to go in that I was missing every gear. So I need to start with the simple things. Can anybody tell me how to check the oil on the tranny n if it needs oil how do I put some. Im ordering the mgw short shifter if there is a better shifter please let me know or if u have one of these let me know how it works
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

short shifter isnt going to help.
the check plug is on the side of the transmission
you probably need to rebuild the trans, as your blocker rings are likely worn out from years of abuse
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

or, his cable is stretched to all hell or he has an adjustable qaudrant thats waaayyyy too loose/tight, MGW is a good shifter but I highly doubt that your problem is in the shifter. Can you drive the car normally and shift ok or do you have to slam it in and out all the time
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
ssj50driver

Could be a few things, good things were mentioned.

Other things: What gear oil are you using? Sometimes a synthetic gear fluid does not sit well enough and might cause a more harsh shift, so you might want to try dyno fluid.

Since this is a t5, not sure on the miles, I would vote for rebuild or at least pull it and look at it over a nice weekend. When you say missing every gear does that mean you shifted into a wrong gear? If that is the case it's not any of the above. If you misshifted (clutch not engaged when put into gear) then that could easily be the clutch quadrant adjustment or even the clutch itself going bad. What is the clutch you currently have on and age of it? I'd definitely check the fluid first though. See how dirty it is, etc. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by ssj50driver
Other things: What gear oil are you using? Sometimes a synthetic gear fluid does not sit well enough and might cause a more harsh shift, so you might want to try dyno fluid.
I certainly hope he isnt using gear oil at all....
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
ssj50driver

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I certainly hope he isnt using gear oil at all....
transmission fluid... I'm not trying to split hairs here. Good luck on getting that stuff in there if you think someone could. It is the internet so you never know when someone will be stupid enough. I gave the OP the definitive benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
93 stallion
1st Gear Member

Ok so you'll can understand I can shift ok driving normal cause I got time to make sure the gear is in cause when i
think its in it still need a another step more. Like if something is blocking it
Old 02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
93 stallion
1st Gear Member

According to the oil don't know what kind or if it has enough. Sorry just bought the car. Don't know how old is the clutch but saw that its a centerforce. The car was a dps it has over 232000 . But don't know if the tranny is from that car. Don't know if dps used 5 speeds.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

The new shifter may help you. The stock shifters wear after awhile....checking the clutch cable and quadrant is great advice and if you never changed your tranny fluid it wouldn't hurt to change it. Like you stated: it shifts fine under normal driving circumstances then it probably is the shifter or clutch cable.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 PM
93 stallion
1st Gear Member

Im back I miss read the advises and put gear oil 85-140 in it to day. Drove it to work and just now I read not to put gear oil. Im going to have to drive it back home, total amount miles im going to drive is about 45 mile before I can change the oil again. Would do any harm on the tranny? And what would be a good transmission fluid cause nobody has dyno

Quick Reply: hard shifting tranny