5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

annoying vibration on freeway...please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default annoying vibration on freeway...please help

When im going 55mph it starts to vibrate near the dash area and around 70mph it gets worse. Once I let off the gas, the vibration is gone. If i slowy give it gas and stay under 40mph, I don't notice it.

Ive checked the U joints, replaced spark plugs, fuel filter and checked the cap/rotor & wires. It also idles perfect and doesn't miss, studder or anything. Also, fuel pressure is at 43.

Any ideas, this is really getting annoying? It started doing this 4 days before I got new/wheels tires.

Last edited by camaroeater; 02-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Check your alignment and tires/wheel balance! Those are the most common causes for vibration when reachim certain speeds.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
Check your alignment and tires/wheel balance! Those are the most common causes for vibration when reachim certain speeds.
I'm sure its not a wheel imbalance or alignment, due to the fact that once I let off the gas, the vibration is gone. Thanks for the input though.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

pilot bearing???? Does the shifter vibrate allot..?

Last edited by Js88lx; 02-26-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Js88lx
pilot bearing???? Does the shifter vibrate allot..?
No, i doen't vibrate around the shifter. The vibration is coming from around the dash. I thinking it may be the balacer, but I replace that a couple of years ago and it made the shifter vibrate alot. Im gonna take another look at the balancer.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

My car does the same. I've done the pilot bearing and u-joint.

It's like a very fast knocking in the dash, right?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

check your engine and trans mounts. however, if its speed related, it could be internal (transmission) or in your driveline. check rear diff fluid, and see if your pinion has any play in it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroeater
When im going 55mph it starts to vibrate near the dash area and around 70mph it gets worse. Once I let off the gas, the vibration is gone. If i slowy give it gas and stay under 40mph, I don't notice it.

This pretty much eliminates the suspension: tire balance, ball joints, etc.

Vibration under a load could a lot of things. Start by checking the simple stuff: timing, fuel pressure, clutch adjustment. Put a thermometer on each header tube and make sure they're all about equal.

You said you changed the balance a couple years ago; what did you use as a replacement? You might want to check that again.

Have you made any motor changes lately?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:23 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I replaced the balancer with a ford repalcement about 20k ago. It has no cracks in the rubber and doesn't budge when trying to twist it. I replaced the tranny mount with a urethane and stock ford motor mounts around the same time. I checked to make sure they're not cracked and the nuts are tight.

I ran KOEO/KOER again yesterday and came up with nothing. I did notice that if I rev it to around 4K, I doesn't shake at all and doesn't cut out or anything. Even when i go WOT, I notice NO power loss.

Adder mentioned the differential fluid, I should probably check/replace that. Bob., I did check the fuel pressure. Its at 43, vac line off and 32 with vac line on. Im staring to think i has to be the U joints, but i didn't feel any play in them.

I did have a Code 31 a couple weeks ago for low voltage at EGR. Could a bad egr cause these symptoms?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Check the diff. That was my problem. Definitely need a trac-LOK rebuild...

Quick Reply: annoying vibration on freeway...please help