5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

want to buy and build a mustang, need suggestions and help please :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:12 AM
voodoothatido

Default want to buy and build a mustang, need suggestions and help please :)

Hi all, new to the forum, and this seems like the place to come for mustang info.....not new to cars but definately new to stangs.....recently got a house and need a toy for the garage, I like the fox bodies and would like to pick one up and start busting knuckles......so I need suggestions, tips, opinions please. Id like to eventually have an almost daily driver, although with gas prices going up, it may turn out to be a sunday driver. I want it to be fast, creature comforts aren't a huge deal, but I do like power windows and locks. I'm planning on new engine, tranny, rear end, suspension, brakes, and all the little things that go along with those. I dont want to do a frame up, but Im looking to get in pretty deep.....was thinking 351, but I am completely flexible. As almost all of my experience in the past has been on GM's and mopar's (please don't hold it against me, just a fact of life) Im new to mustangs and fords, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions/thoughts/things to look out for regarding models, engines, obstacles, etc......I need to buy the car first obviously, so which mustang gives me the best platform to start with.....please help me map out a plan to bring this ground rumbling creation to life. Thank you in advance for any thought or ideas you share, and I'll keep posted............

Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 AM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: want to buy and build a mustang, need suggestions and help please :)

If you are looking for a project car to tear into, and thats what your post sounds like, go with a 87-92 notch. Those are the lightest to start out with, and IMO they look the best too.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:54 AM
voodoothatido

Default RE: want to buy and build a mustang, need suggestions and help please :)

Thanks........after browsing for awhile I was kinda leaning towards that very thing......any suggestions on an engine?? I want something that can be made fast but also somehing that will leave room for me to get my hands in.......is the 351 a sound option?? is there a better option?

also can the LX come with power windows/locks??

Old 09-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yes I belive so. 351 would be a good start, maybe try boring it over and make it a 393 stroker.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 AM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

How much $ are you looking to spend on motor?
Old 09-03-2005, 04:08 AM
voodoothatido

ORIGINAL: DR8907

How much $ are you looking to spend on motor?

well originally I was planning on starting with a printed 351 long block, and may still go with that option to save money. But browsing the forum I found this site http://www.fordcobraengines.com and now Im seriously considering forking out some big bucks. My biggest concern is that it will be an engine I didnt build, I kinda like the idea of doing it myself. Although the engines they offer may be stronger and worth the extra money. I kinda like this one.... http://www.fordcobraengines.com/351W_400Carb.htm
Old 09-03-2005, 08:49 AM
voodoothatido

ORIGINAL: DR8907

If you are looking for a project car to tear into, and thats what your post sounds like, go with a 87-92 notch. Those are the lightest to start out with, and IMO they look the best too.
The fox body came out in 82, right? Is there a particular reason I should stay in the 87-92 range? So far Im not sure exactly what Im gonna do about the engine, it would take some time to save up the $6000 for a turnkey crate, so I might do a little at a time, right now Im just trying to find a good platform to start with.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Dan9687
3rd Gear Member

That second link was a very nice looking engine but if I was going to put as much money into this as you sound like you are I would never buy a complete engine. Def. do a build up from the block up! Then you can say ya its a beast, I built it! Even make it look just like that engine on the link, but YOU build it.

P.S.
You must have a hell of a job to just buy a house and now starting to buy a car project! lol.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

fox body started in 79

welcome to the site and sounds like youre excited about this project.

for best platform, thats up to you a notch or hatch would be a good platform. verts are nice but not to many ppl race them.

351 is a stronger block to begin with. i would look for a roller block if you can if not then youll be doing the roller conversion if you wish to use some of the popular cams out there

if your budget allows it i would go with a T56 if you wanted fun. you can run a steep gear and still have a nice crusiing speed. if your an auto man go with a nice built AOD

for a real end just upgrade to 31 spline axles, 31 spline carrier, weld your tubes to the housing, all new bearings, rear girdle, either poly or spherical bushings for the top of the rear

now if you plan on doing a 351, and say a T56 why not start with a 4 banger? if you got room in your budget this maybe what you want to do. since youre doing hte whole car with youre own parts this may be you. its a shell and would be cheaper sometimes then buying a rolling 5liter chassis

87 to 93 are EFI setups and most ppl would rather stay with those

but you can still run with an older body but youll either have to buy a complete harness or do a standalone harness to run EFI in the older body. unless youre going carbed then who cares what body youre running.

personally the 79 cobra is growing on me and so is the 82 GT front end also

6k is kinda alot, dont look past the GT40 crate motor its a good little motor. remember this is ford we dont need as much power as others do to go just as fast. 300rwhp can get you 12s very easy in a mustang
Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
voodoothatido

Thanks for the help guys, you've definately given me alot to consider.........I appreciate the replies and I'm sure to be back with more questions

Quick Reply: want to buy and build a mustang, need suggestions and help please :)