5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

To sump, or not to sump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM
IRoman
1st Gear Member

Default To sump, or not to sump?

So sumping my fuel tank maybe my next project, but I'm not sure where to start.

My car currently has an aftermarket fuel pump (inside the gas tank), and for whatever reason, has a loop in front of the gas tank like it was meant to hold an external fuel pump.

I believe my fuel pump, or my fuel sending unit is going out. I have replaced all my fuel and ignition components, and my car acts like it is stuggling for gas when I push it past 2500 rpms.

I am going to drop my tank but I started thinking about sumping it, Im not sure what all is involved. I dont know what parts I need and I cant find any good write ups (if you have one, please let me know). I have never upgraded anything in the gas tank, so this is all new to me, so bear with my noob questions.

Is it better to spend the 600 on the sumped AE tank or the sumped Glens Performance tank? Or can I do the same with having the two outlet LMR sump kit welded to the tank.

Why does the LMR kit have 2 outlets vs other ones that have 3 outlets? What is the difference between 3/4 outlets and 1/2 outlets? More fuel obviously, but what about the 3rd outlet? what is it for?

What is the splitter for? Why do I see filters on either side of the fuel pump?

My engine is NA and I have all the basic bolt ons, so I know this is overboard, but If Im going to fix this, Im going to upgrade it---if Im going to upgrade it, Im going to all the way, or well, at least most of the way. When Im able to upgrade to forced induction later, I will be ready

I know I dont need dual fuel pumps like I have seen on a few of the cars. This will never be a drag car, just a street car

Any advice is appreciated

Last edited by IRoman; 08-12-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM
IRoman
1st Gear Member

Default Here goes nothing

Okay, well no ideas from the forum so far, So I have decided just to go for it. I ordered a new tank and sump kit from LMR. I went with the 1/2 inch outlets since Im not making a crazy amount of horsepower (...yet!)

Again, Im a noob at this, so I need to find out what the two sump outlets will attach too. I know one is obviously going to attach to the fuel pump, but Im not sure about the other line. Is it going to the top of the tank and attaching to the sending unit?

My overall goal for this project isnt to try to give the car more fuel because it needs it. Its to have an external pump that I can quickly and easily replace. Do I expect the pump to go out on a regular basis? No, but I like knowing that I can get to it without dropping the tank.

Last edited by IRoman; 08-15-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling