5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

91 Just died on the road... Now wont start.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:40 PM
firefox

Default RE: 91 Just died on the road... Now wont start.. Help!

Seliniod, Soleniod, Selenoid .... hmm.. I am going to agree on the spelling of .. Solenoid.

Yes, you have a very good point Import Slayer, after all, my car had not stalled, it just wouldn't start. So chances are the solenoid has nothing to do with it. Sorry I couldn't help AJJ :-)

firefox
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

If the starter it turning the motor over, the solenoid is fine. Don't hold the wire [:@], it the spark is working a little bit but not enough it'll hurt like heck but you still may not have enough fire. Put the metal shaft of a screwdriver with a very thick plastic handle, into the wire and keep the exposed metal of the shaft very near to a well grounded metal surface. You should see a nice blue arc that can easily jump 1/8". Regarding the tester, since it's an OBD I system, you can check it with a paper clip and a 12V test light or an analog DC voltage meter. Check this site out regarding pulling the codes; http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

Heres a schmatic of the connections
Old 09-09-2005, 01:05 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

smell the exhaust when you try to start it, if it smells like gas then you getting no spark.
check the wires that go on the plug for your coil.
one could be broken.

was the popping noise like a backfire? if it was, it could be that your timing chain was stretched and jumped a couple of teeth.

if it did you can find out.
heres how, take off the coil wire, take out the #1 plug (front pass side) then hold your finger over the hole and turn the crank clockwise till you have pressure against your finger, turn it till the pressure stops, and line up your timing marks with the 0 mark.
take off the distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing straight back or very slightly to the right.

if it isnt, you need to replace your timing chain.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:13 AM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

smell the exhaust when you try to start it, if it smells like gas then you getting no spark.
one could be broken.

was the popping noise like a backfire? if it was, it could be that your timing chain was stretched and jumped a couple of teeth.

heres how, take off the coil wire, take out the #1 plug (front pass side) then hold your finger over the hole and turn the crank clockwise till you have pressure against your finger, turn it till the pressure stops, and line up your timing marks with the 0 mark.
take off the distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing straight back or very slightly to the right.

The timing gears his '91 mustang are steel and not nylon like the older style so it's very doubtful that it jumped any teeth.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 AM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

I still say install your new module and I'm willing to bet it will fire right up.
If it's not that, then it's either the coil or computer.
Since the these modules are known to fail, my bet is on the module.
I don't think you need to remove the dizzy to install the module but if you do then just mark where the rotor is so you don't lose your timing.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

After reading all the above, I tend to agree it's the module on the side of the distributor. My son-in-law had an LTD that just quit and wouldn't start again. A new module solved the problem.
As for the little bolts, you can buy a special tool just for the job. My memory seems to recall the bolt are 5.5 mm.
And no, you don't have to remove the distributor, or even have to turn it. The module should be facing the front of the car where you can get at it.
It's a simple 10-15 minute job to change.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Brewski*

I agree 100% with importslayer. My 5.0 did just that 2 weeks ago. I made a guess it was the module and replaced it. Started instantly. You will need a special tool to remove it correctly without pulling the distributor. NAPA has them for around 5.00
Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
AJJ90GT

Ok...

I went ahead and replaced the TFI Module and the coil (7/64 inch bolts go figure) this morning.... But sadly no go.

Going nuts... I went through everything again. Starting at the schrader valve.

With the car in the on position, after hearing the fuel pump buzz up... All I get is a tiny squirt now.... Almost nothing... I had my wife crank it and still after that tiny initial squirt... Nothing... Shouldn't I be getting a nice spray out of there as long as the fuel system is on?

Thanks again for each of your comments and suggestions... !

Alex

Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: import slayer

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

one could be broken.

The timing gears his '91 mustang are steel and not nylon like the older style so it's very doubtful that it jumped any teeth.

I have seen it before , but now that I think of it it was on a 72 ford pickup that probably had nylon covered gears.

can you hear the pump everytime you turn on the ignition?
did you reset your inertia switch?
try checking your fuel pump relay under the drivers seat.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:57 PM
AJJ90GT

Todays update:

New fuel filter.... Fuel at the schrader valve sprays full speed ahead.... Car... #@!#* still wont start.

Took old coil (the one I pulled from this car) to the 90 GT... Plugged it in and it works fine.

Tested for spark every which way:

- Coil to cap at cap

- Coil to cap at coil

- Plug to cap

No spark at all. Tried all the above with the tested known working (old) coil as well as the new coil.

The only thing that hasn't been double checked and confirmed as a working component is the new TFI module.

What else could this be? Do the computers just drop dead?

I apprecaite everyone's help and support... please keep the ideas coming...

Alex

Quick Reply: 91 Just died on the road... Now wont start.. Help!