5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tranny problem or not???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 AM
BlakeandDillonsDad

Question Tranny problem or not???

My '92 Mustang 5 speed only has fourth gear. It has tranny fluid. The throwout bearing was making noise before the tranny shut down. I was told if it had tranny fluid, it wasn't the tranny. I know nothing about trannies so any advice would be helpful.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

You need a new tranny, rebuild atleast!!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

if 4th gear positively engages, yes you have issues

a t5 will still shift with NO fluid in it...because it's "manual" it doesnt require any pressure to make a shift

it may be something simple but will still require a full teardown, so you might as well do a good rebuild with a kit from d&d

http://www.ddperformance.com
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
BlakeandDillonsDad

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
if 4th gear positively engages, yes you have issues

a t5 will still shift with NO fluid in it...because it's "manual" it doesnt require any pressure to make a shift

it may be something simple but will still require a full teardown, so you might as well do a good rebuild with a kit from d&d

http://www.ddperformance.com
Do you know of a site or something I can go to? I have some mechanical skills. Is there something that can give me step by step directions? Or would this be to big a task? your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by BlakeandDillonsDad
Do you know of a site or something I can go to? I have some mechanical skills. Is there something that can give me step by step directions? Or would this be to big a task? your input is greatly appreciated.
some mechanical skill wont get you through this... but read here.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
prangy
1st Gear Member

Isn't there a video out there that shows you how to rebuild the t-5?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

There are videos that show people how to cook. They rarely get that right...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
prangy
1st Gear Member

While I take it you have not watched a video on rebuilding it, I find people like a video made by Hanlon Motorsports when I googled it. I personally would get a video if I had to rebuild my T-5, a manual is great to me, but to see someone pop it open always helps. I would guess that a company would not put a video out unless it was close to 100% accurate, maybe you can't watch good?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by prangy
While I take it you have not watched a video on rebuilding it, I find people like a video made by Hanlon Motorsports when I googled it. I personally would get a video if I had to rebuild my T-5, a manual is great to me, but to see someone pop it open always helps. I would guess that a company would not put a video out unless it was close to 100% accurate, maybe you can't watch good?
just because a company is good at what they do doesn't mean they're great at explaining how they do it.

Rebuilding a t5 is tough, but do your research and stay clean and organised while doing the rebuild and you'll be ok. I'm sure there are many videos on youtube and such of people going through a rebuild of a t5. Watch as many as you can and just absorb as much information as you can before you attempt it yourself.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 AM
prangy
1st Gear Member

I didn't say they explain it good or anything like that, believe me I know all about people that are good at something and can not explain it for a darn. I was getting more to the point that a video would be helpful instead of just opening the transmission up and not knowing what anything is.

Quick Reply: Tranny problem or not???