5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP 1991 5.0 wont start after filling up at gas station

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

So did they give you another module? They should switch them out if it never cranked.

You do know you need to put a little contact grease on the module when installing.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Disregard all the TPS talk, it's not related at all, and quite honestly I'm ashamed that people even mentioned it.
LoL epic

Just read through this post, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted to help this guy. As usual I learned a lot for following along.

But srsly OP get this thing running ! I'm on the edge of my feet here reading waiting to see what the solution is haha. Very odd the dizzy TFI didn't solve it, if it was deemed broken at autozone. Should have had them test the new one to see if it passed too haha.

Only valuable input I have at this time is if you do replace the distributor, just get a stock replacement, haven't heard anything good about the MSD's to warrant the $
Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
BayArea5one0

Originally Posted by mattdel
A1-Cardone, part # 785611, Rockauto.com, $102.79 + $105 core.
THANKS!!! Neither AutoZone nor Kragen/O-Reily could get me one. Both said their vendor was out of stock. Going to order from RockAuto this weekend! Much appreciated.
Originally Posted by TrimDrip
So did they give you another module? They should switch them out if it never cranked.
You do know you need to put a little contact grease on the module when installing.
No, the replacement module was still bolted to the dizzy so I didnt remove it to have it tested as well, although that thought did cross my mind. I just wanted my original ICM re-tested by another person at AutoZone just to be sure and Yes, I did apply the thermal paste when I installed the new ICM. (cleaned surface on dizzy prior)
Originally Posted by Bobert
LoL epic

Just read through this post, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted to help this guy. As usual I learned a lot for following along.

But srsly OP get this thing running ! I'm on the edge of my feet here reading waiting to see what the solution is haha. Very odd the dizzy TFI didn't solve it, if it was deemed broken at autozone. Should have had them test the new one to see if it passed too haha.

Only valuable input I have at this time is if you do replace the distributor, just get a stock replacement, haven't heard anything good about the MSD's to warrant the $
Don't think the dizzy needs to be replaced. Both the ICM and the pickup coil were replaced. I am crossing all my fingers that the ECM (computer) will be the last thing to get my pony back on the road. Will report anything new or once I get her running! THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONES HELP, MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Not a problem bro. I'm honestly a little shocked that a TFI & pickup didn't solve it. Last resort in this scenario is obviously the computer, but like I said previously.. they just don't die. I'm eagerly awaiting the results. Hope the computer fixes it, cause if not... you got some wiring to dig through.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
BayArea5one0

I wish there was a way to test the ECM itself, so I dont waste money on a replacement that wont fix my issue. I'm a little stumped as to why the ICM failed the test at AutoZone and the repair shop I then took it to said that the Pickup coil wasnt working wither until he replaced it an then pointed the finger at the ECM. All signs point to the ECM now, but I'm curious as to why/how all 3 failed at the same time?

This is my commuter, lol I know.... and she ran very well until that day she died on me. I just dont get how all 3 parts could have went bad simultaneously. Could a bad ECM cause the others to go bad or vise versa?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:24 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I don't know for sure on that, but I assume yes, the ECM dying could have back-fed some voltages into them or something similar to that.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
BayArea5one0

Just ordered my replacement ECM from RockAuto...thnx mattdel for the info! Now we wait....
Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 PM
BayArea5one0

Thumbs up WE HAVE IGNITION!!!

WE HAVE IGNITION AND ENGINE RUMBLE ONCE AGAIN! I CANT THANK EVERYONE ENOUGH FOR ALL YOUR HELP, YOU GUYS ROCK! I INSTALLED THE ECM AND SAID A QUICK PRAYER...LOL. SALLY ROARS ONCE AGAIN! I'M WONDERING IF THE ORIGINAL ICM IS GOOD, THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING IT BACK JUST TO SEE BUT WITH MY LUCK, IT WILL OPEN ANOTHER CAN OF WORMS. THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

sweet
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM
stangman33

awesome!!!! this thread has pointed me in the right direction. my car is doing the exact same thing. although i put a new icm and pick up on my car but havent tried to start it yet. left my key on and my battery has ran down. i know, shouldve unhooked it but i didnt. lol. anyway i appreciate this thread. thanks guys.

Quick Reply: HELP 1991 5.0 wont start after filling up at gas station