5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Would an engine oil overfill cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 05:39 AM
wehats

Default Would an engine oil overfill cause this?

Hi,

The Long:
I've got a '91 GT (AOD) 5.0 that I bought just a couple days ago, and coming over the cascades today I smelled some oil burning under the hood, I pulled over and saw that there was oil splattered all over the drivers side of the engine and my coolant (which was 3/4 full the day I got it) was just about empty. I quickly found the hose causing the coolant to leak out all over the place and patched it up, but I had no idea was was spitting oil all over the place. When I bought it I noted that it had too much oil in it, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch over the maximum suggested level, but didnt worry about it too much because it drove great and my Dad said it was mechanically sound. So, i figured it was just the fault of the previous owner and that I'd just let it burn off until its where it should be. After coming over the east side of the cascades, I didnt experience any problems all the way home to Spokane, but was greeted with a nice oil splatered engine (mostly on the drivers side) under the hood. When I first got home I parked it in the driveway, which slopes down towards the street, so the nose was in the air a bit, and quite a bit of oil ended up on my drive way. After taking it to the carwash and cleaning the oil splatter out, i parked it in the level garage and threw some cardboard under it and only noticed a few drops under there a few hours later. I'm praying that its just dripping off the oil that splattered out from it being too full, and that it isnt a main seal. The previous owner gave me receipts he got when he bought it, including one for a new main seal install two years ago, so I really doubt its gone bad that quick. My dad wants to put it off to the weekend, but I am damn tired of taking the bus to school and want to fix this as soon as possible. If you have any idea what would cause oil to splatter all over the drivers side of the engine, let me know (my dad thinks it might have something to do with power steering? if that makes any sense)

The Short:
The dipstick showed 1/2' to 3/4' over full when I bought it yesterday. Coming east over the Cascades I smelled oil burning, and saw that there was oil splattered all over the drivers side of the engine. Cleaned off oil when I got home (uneventfully returned to Spokane) Drove it around a bit and havnt noticed oil splattering, Oil is down to 1/4 over full, but still some is dripping (on drivers side). New (2 yrs old) main seal. Not sure what the hell would have done that, just kind of scared because I bought it yesterday morning and its already acting up.

Would an engine oil overfill cause oil to splatter all over the place?
Thanks,
Ben S.

(BTW, I didnt notice any new oil splattered after i returned home from the car wash, however some was dripping out, very slowly, when i parked it, I hope its just whats left of what spilled out earlier)
Old 09-22-2005, 03:04 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Would an engine oil overfill cause this?

so do this ..change oil put the right amount in it and be on your way..I think you were lucky in it blowing up the dipstick tube instead of the rear main seal....remember 5 qt with the oil filter...do keep an eye for the rear seal
Old 09-22-2005, 04:07 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Could be a bad valve cover gasket thats causing the oil splatter.The oil being overful shouldnt cause oil to spray everywere but its slightly possible.The power steering doesnt have anything to do with the oil in the motor so I doubt thats the problem,is the oil brown or red that is leaking??Maybe its not motor oil is the power steering oil low?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:35 AM
wehats

Mkay. This morning the oil was about 1/5' over full with a cold engine, nothing new splattered around, and just a few drops on the ground. Went for a quick ride down to the store this afternoon, didnt notice any new oil leaking around the engine, ran like a champ (still getting used to having twice the displacement of my old volkswagen ). Being the cautious guy I am, I set up an appointment at the local Ford dealership. I'm pretty new to fords so I thought I'd just leave it up to the professionals this one time.

When I find out what (if anything) is wrong I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks,
Ben

(Praying to God its just a dip tube or even a valve cover gasket, even though it looks like a bitch and a half to get to. The front and rear main seals are only 4000 miles old, and all the major gaskets were replaced 3 months ago )
Old 09-23-2005, 02:34 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

please don't take it there.....wash down the engine with simple green...then look for new oil spots
Old 09-23-2005, 04:25 PM
93BlackSunshine
3rd Gear Member

Yo, I would not take my car to the dealer they are going to rip you off, unless you have a lot of money. Dude they will charge you like $100 buck just to change your oil. Try to do it yourself first, and keep asking for help the people on the forum.

Just wash it down and wipe everything down really good. then go drive around and get the engine up to normal temp, park it in the drive way with card board, and look for the leaks. I just did this to my stang last weekend and found out that my oil sending unit was loose. and that fixed the leak now my car doesn't even drip, and now its all clean under there.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:38 AM
wehats

Well, Æ’uck...

Front and rear main seals = [:@], oil pan gasket = [:@], miscellaneous other gaskets and seals and such = [:@].

They quoted me at $1600, F-that.

I'll fix what I can, and maybe throw in some sort of sealing additive, but i've never dropped a transmission so i'll probably have to have someone else do the main seals and other bits I get too frustrated with.

I guess i'll just dump oil into it until I win the lottery or invent silent velcro or something.

Ben S.

(If any of you out there are, or know, someone who will work for beer, cigarettes, my undying love, and a little (lot) less than $1600, in eastern washington, email me at BenjaminJS at Gmail dot Com, or PM or whatever)

[:'(]
Old 09-24-2005, 10:11 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well the rear seal can be fix without dropping the trans...a oilpan gasket r&r is like 5 hours. if you mechaincial incline you can do it and you can go ahead and install a new oil pump and screen
Old 09-24-2005, 04:37 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

How hard to do the rear main seal? Mine is leaking slighty but its not enough to even notice it on the dipstick, maybe 5 drops everytime I shut it off. But the bad thing about a leak is, it doesnt get better it can only get worse. Could I do it by taking off the oil pan and doing it through there? Whats the best way to do it and how long would it take?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

sorry vfast, you need to take out the tranny and clutch and flywheel to even get to the rear seal.
so, yes you do need to remove the transmission.
I did mine when I replaced my clutch, it was easy, carefully pry the old one out, lube the new one, and press it in. mabye tap it with a hammer lightly.

Quick Reply: Would an engine oil overfill cause this?