5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Do I need a tune Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM
mustanghubey

Default Do I need a tune Need Help

Hi to all am new to this posting stuff. I have a 1987 saleen 5.0 I took the mustang to a speed shop real known in NJ just don't want to say the name just yet the car is still there it had all this work done to it like TFS top end kit track heat heads cam intake ford 9al wire Pro-m mass air conversion harness,accufab throttle body&egr spacer,anderson 3.5 powerpipe abaco dbx 85mm pigtal set for ford racing 30# injectors ford shorty headers MSD 6AL, MSD Pro billet distributor new coil,kirban adjustable fuel pres reg fuel filter walbro 255LPH fuel pump 180 thermostat water pump autolite spark plugs and new MAF Conversion stuff like that.when i went to pick up the car looked good sound good when i was on my way home in 30 minutes the car started to bog hesitate like it dont want to go. has no cats on it.I asked how he tuned it and they wore we just did the abcodbx 85mm to 30#Injectors. they set the time all that why no tuning it has all new filters but am like no tuning that dont sound right after doing all that work they say it must be the MSD box is bad then why dont they test it.Any help
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM
iloveyoulongtime

yes if i were you i would chill im sure they know what there doing it sounds to me like something simple like a spark plug or maybe a screw that's not well tightened, im sure it will all work out and i wish you the best of luck and if possible got any pics of that saleen i have a 84 saleen and its kinda doing the same thing. All you can do is wait i kmow its easier said than done
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

How was it running the first 30 min. before it started bog/hesitate? A tune will get a car dialed in, but if it was running good at first, I'd start looking for simple things.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

With that setup you dont absolutely need a tune! It could be a wiring issue like an improper crimp that cam loose or bad parts! used parts are a greater risk, new parts can also be bad!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
iloveyoulongtime

well i suppose you found the help you needed good luck buddy and let me see some pics if available. great car.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
mustanghubey

HI the car ran real strong but at that time the rpm needle was jumping little no big deal and thx I don't think i did need a tune on that set up they did two pulls and 475 to much. dont have any good pic's when i get the car back i will post them up.well new msd box and wires on the way to them but ill be there when ups show's up it's been a week. All parts wore brand new i got what they told me to get.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM
mustanghubey

Well that don't matter any more.When showed up so did ups and they told me there was some antifreeze on the floor when they moved the car. so they presser tested it. So went up on car o no the lower part of the block has a small crack on it leaken coolant.It was fine before i bout it to them.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

It's really difficult for me to understand 10% of what you're saying so I'm just gonna throw something out there based on the title and the mod list. Put the car on the dyno and see how it runs.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Hopefully the car does better than his proof reading.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Cliff's Notes:

He brought the car to them and bought the parts that they told him to buy. Car wasn't tuned and ran like ****, and then there was something about 475hp pulls, I think. Now the car leaks antifreeze due to a cracked block that wasn't cracked when he brought it to them.

I think.

Damn Yankees.

Quick Reply: Do I need a tune Need Help