5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stalling when breaking at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Blowed&Stroked

Originally Posted by mebirkle
If it's the tank... is it a new tank that is the fix?

I think that maybe it's the ground small ground wire on the battery that goes to the fuel pump. It seems frayed (spelling). I'm putting a batter terminal / new cable end on it tonight for the drive home and then see if I can safely reproduce the situation.

I'm torn between trying to reproduce the problem or just swapping parts to get it straight again. I have to admit that overall I'm not feeling I made a sound purchase. Oh well... gotta ride out the storm and make the car my own.
I wouldn't suggest replacing parts until you've diagnosed the problem. That's a waste if money really, unless you have the parts laying around?? I'd find the problem, fix it temporarily to get you home, then replace faulty parts. Unless ur wallet is thicker than brains.lol
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blowed&Stroked
I wouldn't suggest replacing parts until you've diagnosed the problem.
+1,000,000,000.....
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Still diagnosing... Very sound advice. I just can't make it consistent.

Here's what I do know:

1. It definitely happens when braking only. No acceleration or turning stalls while under gas.
2. It happens after Long highway driving. I can't just go out and reproduce it right now unless I take a two hour drive or similar.
3. It did happen after I got off the highway just stopping at lights going slower and braking for the first time over the weekend.
4. The engine turns over for a spell and then fires (10-15 seconds) instead of two second.
5. No lean conditions after it Starts as in no smoke out the exhaust.

Guess: only seems to happen at 3 quarters or fuller of a tank of gas. I need to verify this.

What I have tried:

1. My gas cap doesn't hiss when I unscrew it. Bought new cap didn't fix and still doesn't hiss.
2. New battery ground connector
3. Sea foam in tank

I think it's either vacuum related (braking vacuum) or no fuel pressure when this happens. I am replacing the switch in the trunk that senses rear crashes and pressure regulator. I am also going to put a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and run it to the windshield to see pressure drop off when it occurs.

Parts in waiting include a newer tank with all internals.

Could one of the tank seals be causing this? I am sure they are stock. Should the gas cap hiss when I take it off to fill up?

Thanks all for te advice. This is surely getting old.

Dave
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Sounds to me like you are getting vapor lock in your fuel line. Look for places where fuel line is close to exhaust or any thing else that gets hot & get some space 'tween them.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Blowed&Stroked

My car stalls out sometimes when braking too. But I know why mine does it. It needs a tune and loading up on fuel and killing the motor. I haven't noticed mine doing it in corners tho. But it's another possibility for u to consider
Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Isn't there something in the tank that also could cause vapor lock? Also, would this occur during braking? Thanks!

Also, I did a tune-up on the car. Anyway to tell why and how it's loading up on fuel??
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

data log if you have a SCT or other hand held tuner or just take it to a tuner.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...an-sct-x-cal3/
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Blowed&Stroked

If u check for vapor lock like frostbyte said and can't move lines away from heat source, jegs makes a heat wrap that works very well. I ran a 16g temp sensor wire out a water jacket for thermostat relay for an electric fan on my BB and hasn't melted yet. It melted once all the way thru and I removed the plugin, slid the wrap over, and held it in place with a zip tie. I think it has a 1/2" id so it will fit over a stock gas line.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

ProblEm solved. I found a great used fuel tank with very new components. I also had a fuel Line from the tank sitting on the exhaust. I am 99% sure it was a tank component such as the vent valve. The tank was ony $80 so well worth a shot.

Thanks all for your ideas and potential solutions.

Old tank was gross and very rusted.

Dave