5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Firewall adjuster will not rotate

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default Firewall adjuster will not rotate

Just installed a steeda quadrant, ford racing clutch cable, and UPR firewall adjuster. Got everything together and the clutch pedal feels nice, but my car won't move in any gear. I can leave it in gear, let off the clutch and in won't even die?

The firewall adjuster is threaded all the way "in" and it won't budge to adjust. Also, i got the cable on the middle hook on the quadrant, closest to the firewall like the instructions said.

Any ideas? Thanks guys
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I got the firewall adjuster to thread out about an inch, but my car still won't move and i can put it in gear without pressing the clutch. I don't know whats going on, my clutch worked fine before i replaced it. Can someone verify what hook Im supposed to be on with the steeda quadrant?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

I believe that Ford clutch cable is too short. It won't let your pressure plate disengage. My cable is on the 1st hook on the quadrant and the adjuster is backed off 1 1/2 inches.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Is it an adjustable cable?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Yea, its supposedly the ford racing adjust. cable, but i don't see any nut on the end that inserts in the transmission, so i doesn't seem adjustable to me.

I tried the clutch on the 1st hook and theres no way the fork could reach that far, so i put it back on the 2nd hook.

Im at a complete loss, my car won't move I can put it in any gear and let off the clutch and it won't stall????

This may be the end of this car, i might just sell it....kinda over dealing with it.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

I have an idea! Unhook your cable at the tranny and then go ahead and put the cable on the 1 hook. Once that is good have someone hold the clutch pedal up away from floor (i used a water bottle and put it under the pedal)., for some reason this gives you slack to hook the end of cable to tranny. Once hooked, take off the bottle and your cable should adjust!

Good luck., this might work!!

Last edited by Js88lx; 02-10-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Also before doing this make sure the there is no adj on the firewall!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

If there is no nut at the end if the cable where it goes to the transmission then it's not an adjustable cable. You need an adjustable cable for that setup. I bet that's your problem right there
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't get rid of the car just because of a clutch cable issue! I bet you will have it up and running with a different cable
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

So what would be the right way to hook it up? Maybe w/o the firewall adjuster?

Previously, my TOB would squeal faintly with the clutch pushed in. Now, it does that squeal with out pushing it in. It seems that whatever part that should move when i push in the clutch, is not moving back, allowing the gear to engage.

I read on another forum of a guy mentioning that its rare for it to stick, but heard of it happening to others and that eventually it will undo itself. Im gonna try letting it run for awhile to heat things up a little.

thanks everyone for the feedback...this suks!

Last edited by camaroeater; 02-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Firewall adjuster will not rotate