5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Paint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Drive85mustang50
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint Questions

I am going to paint my car soon and i have some questions.Where should i go to get the paint removed becuase i know that you can get it sand blasted or somthing off. I want to paint it the stock red with silver flake in it. The paint now is the dark red. Also i want to Paint the moldings black.Where should i go for the paint?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Paint Questions

Your going to do this yourself?? I question this because it's way harder than people think to paint a car. Anyways you might not need to strip the old paint off, it depends on how many paint jobs are on there and what kind of shape it's in. Painting a car is one of the few things I will discourage a person from doing, 99% of the time DIY paint jobs come like crap. If you must do it, forget trying to do a metal flake for your first job, it's alot harder to paint, stick with a single stage urathane in a solid color, trust me it will turn out alot nicer. Oh yes if you need to remove the old paint, DO NOT sand blast it will warp the larger body panels, you need to have it blasted with baking soda or walnut shells.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yeah Trust me bro It aint easy. I painted my car myself and It took me almost 3 Days just to prep it, and When I painted it, it came out looking like crap I have This orange peel texture all over the car. I plan on saving up some money and getting it repainted.

Also if the body is ok and there is little or no rust theres no need in sand blasting, If you sand blast your prolly going to end up using a **** load of bondo and body filler.
Just sand down the old paint with a D/A sander till all the gloss is off, feel round with your hand and make sure theres no rough spots. Then Primer it at least 2 coats and sand each coat with 1000 grit or higher.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

I would highly recommend just gettin it done by a body shop, I tryed to do a few fenders and hoods at a body shop when I was workin there and its definately an acquired talent. First few came out just looking like ****. Lot of fusteration would go into that and if the enviroment your painting in has an dust in it, it will be stuck in your paint and look ****ty.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

no need to strip it as it will cost alot more...block sand the car until the clear coat is gone and you have a nice smooth surface..prime the car in sandable primer..then prime it again in another color..block sand it tell you get down to the first color..you will see high and low spot,which you can use some spot puddy after car is nice..then use some primer/sealer this will fill in most sand marks.when this is on the car you can't sand it so besure it's right then have a painter do the top coats as you will have saved a ton of money and it will look asum!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Drive85mustang50
2nd Gear Member

ya i am thinking of just prepping the car. My Dad has Painted a few cars and i know people who work for body shops so i was going to do it with them but i might just have a body shop do it, I want to learn how to paint but im thinking about starting on somthing different so i dont screw up my car.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:04 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Painting is hard as hell. Dont do it. You can get a decent paint job for under 2k. I have painted smaller stuff... I can handle things like Bike frames (I paint my friend's Bmx frames about once every other month, Im damn good at it now lol) but with larger objects it can be very difficult. Its also alot of $$$ involved to get a good setup between the filters and the gun.

Jim
Old 10-05-2005, 01:23 AM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

Hit up a good body shop.. you will pay for it but it will look incredible
Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

a good body shop is going to charge you around 7k to paint a GT a little less for the LX
Old 10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

a good body shop is going to charge you around 7k to paint a GT a little less for the LX
Thats a bit high. If the car is a mess and needs rust/dent repair I could see it being that much. Most places will charge around $3500 for a really good repaint with some body work. $7000 will get you a near show quality job depending on how much body work the car needs.

Quick Reply: Paint Questions