5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Plug wire melted, Now car wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Tschneid

Yea i still have converters. I'm with you on that one . I cant see how its not flooded seeing ive been trying to crank it for a good amount of the day. I left the car parked last night and im gonna head over there shortly to give it another go .
Old 06-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Tschneid

Originally Posted by mattdel
My money is on the PIP.
Elaborate Please?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Tschneid

If the ignition module was bad i wouldnt be getting a spark at the plugs ? Its the stock module on there now . Also, are those 2 rivets that are holding the module to the distributor? Auto parts store said they can test it?? I just get a torx bit to fit the screw.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Tschneid

Got car to crank over and start while holding the pedal to the ground. Drove for about three miles, car wouldn't accelerate so i pulled over. Now car wont turn over again. Checked cap and rotor, cap has grooves in it. So i went and replaced both the cap and rotor. Pulled fuel pump to check , strainer is pretty clean. I'm thinking its something with the ignition module or the pip sensor. It seems like the car doesn't have enough torque from the starter if that makes any sense. Im at a loss, i need my car to run. This is getting frustrating .
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

When you say it wouldn't accelerate... Was it having trouble firing, or did it feel as if something was holding it back?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Tschneid

It wouldnt accelerate, it didnt feel like a vacuum leak , it felt like it wasnt firing. I pulled all the plugs , #5 had no gap , and they were almost dry. Went and bought new motorcraft (regular not platinum plugs). Made sure distributor was at TDC . Car almost wants to start when gas pedal is depressed all the way. Still no KOEO codes either. Fuel Pressure was good too.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

If you still have the stock exhaust, loosen up the collector bolts on both sides and create a nice big exhaust leak after the headers, then try it out. That'll tell you whether the cats are good or not. It'll be loud but should run significantly better. Better than average chance of fire as well, so verify the condition and shut it down.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Tschneid

If its getting close to starting when i have the gas pedal depressed couldn't it be the ECT, which i have a warranty on. Or the Pickup sensor in the distributor ?? Car was running fine before the wire melted and died
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Yah I have a theory on all that as well. For now we need to verify whether the cats are plugged or not.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Tschneid

ok . Trying to get the car towed down here . Why is letting the car sit for a while allowing the motor to start?

Quick Reply: Plug wire melted, Now car wont start.