5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stumped? 1995 5.0 FLOODING

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM
justin5

Default Stumped? 1995 5.0 FLOODING

Thsi car has me stumped. This thing is just dumping fuel smelling gas thats coming out the pipes. The fuel pump will not shut off after a few seconds. Normally it will come on and prime the system then shut off but it wont stop. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, changed the fuel pressure regulator and the ECCM with the fuel pump relay in it. I also cleaned the throttle body thinking maybe something was just clogged. I had a scanner hooked up to it and it could not comunicate with the computer. Checked all fuses and there all good. The car when started is just pulsing at idle like it has a huge cam in it. Then at WOT it runs fine, let off throttle it dies but will start back up. So my theory is there is some sensor that has gone bad that is telling the computer to tell the fuel pump relay to stay on all the time.. I DONT KNOW WHAT SENSOR THAT IS?? Also could a intermiten stuck fuel injector. I started it this morning and still the same thing then it started running fine all the way to work. NO PROBLEMS. Then turned it off and started it again and same problem over again? HELP ME?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Likely a faulty fuel injector that wont close all the way or at all.
The fuel pump should run continually after the engine is running, the only time you hear the pump run and then shut off should be when you first turn the key to the run position engine off. It wouldn't matter even if the pump ran constantly with the engine off in the run position because the fuel would just cycle back to tank through the return line.
A pinched or plugged return line may force high pressure on the injectors causing them to flood also.
Im guessing its something to do with the injectors .
Steps to take is put a gauge on it and check fuel pressure , if it is in the range of 35-42 psi then the next step is to pull the upper intake plenum , pull the rail and see if any of the injectors are fuel soaked or leaking fuel.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Oh you may be able to see fuel above one of the injectors if the rubber o-ring that seals it into the rail is leaking.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Did you do a koeo/koer test? A lot better than hooking a scanner up
Old 07-18-2013, 05:00 PM
justin5

Thanks, Im going to have Ford put it on one of there scanners today. Im tired of dumping time and money in this thing and not getting anywhere. But i will keep ya posted.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Justin5....... the freakin' OBD2 port on 5.0's is non-functional.......... the v-6 models were obd2 compliant and used the same harness as the 5.0...! The obd1 connector is out under the hood by the strut tower and a koeo/koer test must be run to pull codes as stated
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
justin5

I also checked the ODB1 port as well and did the test. It kept coming up with comunication error so it was not reading the computer. I got tired of pulling all probable scensors that could cause this. I took it to the dealer yesterday afternoon. It ran like a champ on the way there with no problems. I should hear back later today what the deal is.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM
justin5

Newest update, the dealer cant figure it out! They dont have the tools old enough to diagnose it. Back to the drawing board! FML.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by justin5
Newest update, the dealer cant figure it out! They dont have the tools old enough to diagnose it. Back to the drawing board! FML.
lol......all these new techs that are younger than the car itself..lol , must not know how the system works..lol the Fp relay is triggered on start up by the ecm, however if it does not see a pip signal after a few sec, ground to the fp relay is removed, the pip is generated by the pick up in the dizzy and filtered by the tfi before hitting ecm, the fp relay is housed with in a solid state module known as the CCRM, either that is bad /relay contacts sticking or the ecm is thinking it sees a pip after shut off due to bad tfi or stator in the dizzy, I'd shoot for sticking contacts in the ccrm first
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM
justin5

I changed the eccm with the fuel pump relay already. Im leaning towards gernade to fix it!

Quick Reply: Stumped? 1995 5.0 FLOODING