5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

82 GT with 87-93 Brake swap issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Whiskey Jack

Default 82 GT with 87-93 Brake swap issues.

Minimal useless background info: I'm an ASE tech working on a buddies car so I'm using his money which he doesn't have a lot of. I'm not a Mustang 'Guru' by any means - I spend most my time working on everything else out there. This car is not intended to be raced, just more fun to drive. There are a lot of issues with this car I'd like to correct and it already has lots of swaps and mods but some of it has been half-assed, which I'm attempting to correct. I'll have more posts with other issues later but we'll start with the brakes.

No problems with the front alongside suspension upgrades (steeda package with tokico shocks/struts, control arms/spindles off a 90) - all very easy, and cheaper than I expected.

Issues with the rear arise from this car originally had single exhaust, he had duals incorrectly installed at an exhaust shop (just welded up pipes, no flange fittings or actual H-pipe, which I had to cut everywhere to get the trans out...), and they didn't bother with the brake hose which mounts to the breather on the side of rear axle - so its rubbing on the exhaust, melting, about broke etc.

So I run new brake line since I'm changing the booster and master cylinder as well and I run into problem #2 - this nasty crusty leaking combination valve with the brake warning switch. I can't find this discontinued part anywhere.

I'm also doing an 8.8 swap which brings me back to problem #1, so I get the brake hose that mounts in the center and where it mounts to the body is a banjo bolt fitting instead of a flare fitting you plumb brake line into. I look at another guys 94 to see wtf and apparently the hose goes to some other part which looks like another proportioning valve mounted to a bracket I cant find anywhere.

So what do you do with the combination valve and the wtf where the rear brake hose mounts to the body? I found a ford racing parts adjustable proportioning valve but that doesn't look like a solution to either problem.

Suggestions? Tips? Aftermarket solutions?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Whiskey Jack
Minimal useless background info: I'm an ASE tech working on a buddies car so I'm using his money which he doesn't have a lot of. I'm not a Mustang 'Guru' by any means - I spend most my time working on everything else out there. This car is not intended to be raced, just more fun to drive. There are a lot of issues with this car I'd like to correct and it already has lots of swaps and mods but some of it has been half-assed, which I'm attempting to correct. I'll have more posts with other issues later but we'll start with the brakes.

No problems with the front alongside suspension upgrades (steeda package with tokico shocks/struts, control arms/spindles off a 90) - all very easy, and cheaper than I expected.

Issues with the rear arise from this car originally had single exhaust, he had duals incorrectly installed at an exhaust shop (just welded up pipes, no flange fittings or actual H-pipe, which I had to cut everywhere to get the trans out...), and they didn't bother with the brake hose which mounts to the breather on the side of rear axle - so its rubbing on the exhaust, melting, about broke etc.

So I run new brake line since I'm changing the booster and master cylinder as well and I run into problem #2 - this nasty crusty leaking combination valve with the brake warning switch. I can't find this discontinued part anywhere.

I'm also doing an 8.8 swap which brings me back to problem #1, so I get the brake hose that mounts in the center and where it mounts to the body is a banjo bolt fitting instead of a flare fitting you plumb brake line into. I look at another guys 94 to see wtf and apparently the hose goes to some other part which looks like another proportioning valve mounted to a bracket I cant find anywhere.

So what do you do with the combination valve and the wtf where the rear brake hose mounts to the body? I found a ford racing parts adjustable proportioning valve but that doesn't look like a solution to either problem.

Suggestions? Tips? Aftermarket solutions?
you're on the right track of converting to the 86-93 brake hose location at the rear to accomidate for dual exhaust.........the piece you need is no available as you found out, what I did when I did said conversion was looked on ebay and called mustang specialty salvage yards such as cj pony parts and some others, they should be able to pirate you some usable used parts, when my 85 4-5 years ago needed that combination valve due to leaking as well, I was fortunate as my dealer put the request on their parts locator and found a dealer out west that still had one in stock and I called them up and purchased it...hope I never need that one again as it was hard to find....but used is all you may be able to get now.