5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Uh-Oh...Just cracked my Distributor...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default Uh-Oh...Just cracked my Distributor...help

Was just performing a standard car tune up procedure and of course famous FORD proves it famous acronym of F.O.R.D.

Well I was changing my spark plugs and wires and pulled the first wire from the dist and I heard a "crack"...I was like uh oh. Well I managed to break not only the plastic cap but also the actual metal on the rotor. Where the plastic bolts into the rotor in the back it took a chunk out of the metal and on the front took a chunk out of the plastic.

So I have to get another dist assembly and was curious to see what you guys think. Should I buy a dist from MSD or just go to an auto store and get a OEM replacement?

What are the advantages I can see if I get a MSD dist....since I have a stock motor?

And if you are thinking I pulled too hard on my plugs you are wrong. Just as hard as I pull on the dipstick I pulled on the wire and CRACK!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Uh-Oh...Just cracked my Distributor...help

Also one more question. Looking at Summit I find that there are two dist from MSD that will work on my year car. The difference is one specifies a "289/302" and the other specifies a "TFI"? What is TFI?

Which model do I want? Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

I bought the MSD-8456. It cost me $290.83 from Summit racing. I installed it on my buddy's 1993 just to see if we could see an improvement over his stock dist. I was surprised to see that you could feel a little difference in the way it drove. It also helped smooth out his idle.

I say it's worth the extra money.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10184/5703A4C0AB844E549167CCE85AD43FFF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yea the msd is good, i will be getting one sometime, also i think it advances the timing sooner than the stock dizzy. dont get anything other than msd, like mallory and accel they only last so long and the performance gain is not as much.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Just bought a MSD-8456 from Summit. I 2nd Day air it so I could have it by this Thursday or Friday and then get it installed this weekend.

Well....guess my exhaust and 5.0 shifter will have to wait.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pure5.0

Was just performing a standard car tune up procedure and of course famous FORD proves it famous acronym of F.O.R.D.

Well I was changing my spark plugs and wires and pulled the first wire from the dist and I heard a "crack"...I was like uh oh. Well I managed to break not only the plastic cap but also the actual metal on the rotor. Where the plastic bolts into the rotor in the back it took a chunk out of the metal and on the front took a chunk out of the plastic.

So I have to get another dist assembly and was curious to see what you guys think. Should I buy a dist from MSD or just go to an auto store and get a OEM replacement?

What are the advantages I can see if I get a MSD dist....since I have a stock motor?

And if you are thinking I pulled too hard on my plugs you are wrong. Just as hard as I pull on the dipstick I pulled on the wire and CRACK!!!

okay, when you say the plastic broke, do you mean just the distributor cap, and rotor?

the rotor just presses onto the shaft inside the distributor, as long as the electronics in it are undamaged you can just get a new cap and rotor, for probably under $25
Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 AM
92stang
2nd Gear Member

TFI stands for THICK FILM IGNITION thats all i know about it and its what ur car uses.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

IMO ACCEL is a poorman's MSD. ACCEL makes some great products and you can't beat their prices.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt
okay, when you say the plastic broke, do you mean just the distributor cap, and rotor?

the rotor just presses onto the shaft inside the distributor, as long as the electronics in it are undamaged you can just get a new cap and rotor, for probably under $25

Well I broke the rear upper part of the distribution (metal shaft) and that cracked traveled up into the plastic of the cap (base cap).

It's about $60 for a new distributor and $20 for the cap.

If you look at the back of your distributor and see where the bolt hole is on the metal to hold down the plastic cap....I cracked it below that.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:11 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ouch, sorry to hear that, I would go with msd.
you need a tfi one.

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh...Just cracked my Distributor...help