5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1990 Mustang LX runs bad/stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Mwyatt23

Rohon, not sure what a pertronix is and I had a msd coil on it but just went back a stock one and put back on it becuase I thought it was too hot.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Mwyatt23

Weird turn of event guys. Went today and bought another distributer cap and roter set. Installed it and didn't correct the issue. Here's the kicker..while at autozone, decided to pick up a can of carb cleaner. Sprayed about 2 shots in the trottle body intact opening and the car fired right up. As we speak, car will crank and run right now. Question is why is this happening and why would carb cleaner like kick start the car to run. Here are new parts so we know. new fuel pump, fuel pump regulator, fuel filter, & fuel regulator. All new. Now...what the hell is going on??????
Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Mwyatt23

Oh forgot to add, before getting the new cap and rotor, I perform the plug test by pulling a plug and holding it close to a ground and turning the engine. I did not see 1 spark from the plug. Thats what prompted me to go buy the cap and rotor..
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Rohon
Do you have pertronix for ignition system? May not have a thing in the world to do with yours. .
you're right it doesn't.......................petronix is for carb stuff.....we are efi here = tfi ignition
Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

buy a fuel pressure gauge, screw it on the test port and see what the pressure is koeo and koer..............test/troubleshoot......slapping parts as you are will drain the wallet
Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Carb cleaner is flammable, so it will actually help it start (unless you put in too much). You can run a can of Seafoam in your car, it will not solve your problem, but it never hurts. Do you have a buddy with a fox with a working distributor that you swap that to rule out any possibilities of that being a factor? Also, did you recheck your timing to run off TDC and what did you set the timing to? Not saying this is your issue, I'm just curious.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

If you aren't getting spark then carb cleaner wouldn't make a difference to get the car running. It must have just been a fluke that the car got spark at that moment.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Mwyatt23

I would understand if it was a fluke that the car got spark and crunk. But the car been running every since. Timing has not be moved, still in the same position since set initially. Got a fuel gauge tester today and believe it or not i could not get a reading on the fuel pressue gauge. Went got another one and still could not get a fuel pressure read. And thats with the car crunk and idleing. Manually psuh the little nozzle on the Shrader valve and some gas came out, but didn't just shoot out like pressure was behind it. I wish I could post a video of it. How is car running with no spark and no fuel pressure I would never know. Somebody please tell me what's happening.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Mwyatt23
. How is car running with no spark and no fuel pressure I would never know. Somebody please tell me what's happening.
sounds to me like the method/s you use are not accurate, I use tools specifically designed for checking spark and fuel pressure............make sure the gauge is screwed on all the way and if it is and fuel pressure is low, you need to double check your pump installation and make sure a hose is not pinched or one fallen off or ruptured in the tank/carrier portion, the little connecting hose is what I refer too........also inspect elec connection to pump and make sure voltage drop to pump is not occurring do to bad ground or power wire.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Mwyatt23

Im pretty sure I'm screwing the gauge on correctly. But I'll check the other stuff MJR46.

Quick Reply: 1990 Mustang LX runs bad/stalls