5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

If i was to sell this, how much would i get or ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: If i was to sell this, how much would i get or ask for?

you could pick up a built used short block for about 12-1300. you could even buy a block thats been bored out with no internals and buy the stroker kit and only be bout 100-200 more then a used one. trade off is, not all used parts were "used" correctly.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Yuppers, But if you get the stock block machine with some ARP bolts and a 4 Bolt Main Conv you can handle a tonnes of hp and isnt the stock good to around 400 safely?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dont believe the hype about 4bolt conversion

its the webbings that crack in the lifter valley is just one place to spilt
Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Well I would take that chance I wouldnt want to make more than 600 hp on street either way, its alot cheaper than spending 2 g on a block alone. Its a personal choice type thing, if money isn't an opion then blow your hair back but for 80% of us money is a option and thats the easy way out.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

600hp wont ever last in a stock production block. anything over 400hp is a timebomb waiting to blow
Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I don't think over 400 is a time bomb if properly tuned and built at all there is loads of guys doing it. But it can't be no ammature deal you would have to spend some money at the dyno makin sure the AF Mix is good under all load and curves. And as long as the engine is balanced and built right the 2 bolt mains with liek ARP head bolts even shouldn't be a distaster. Lots of guys run S/C with stock internals well into the 400 range, not saying its smart at all but it is done.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schwindty

I don't think over 400 is a time bomb if properly tuned and built at all there is loads of guys doing it. But it can't be no ammature deal you would have to spend some money at the dyno makin sure the AF Mix is good under all load and curves. And as long as the engine is balanced and built right the 2 bolt mains with liek ARP head bolts even shouldn't be a distaster. Lots of guys run S/C with stock internals well into the 400 range, not saying its smart at all but it is done.
Stock internals are good for the same amount of power the block can take from what i hear. Its the pistons that are a major weak point.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Agreed but 400 is alot to even make on stock bottom without some nice induction. I am talkin about a 331 and all rebuild bottom though foreged pistson n such. I dont think anyone in their right mind would rebuild it back to a 302 when gong through all that work all it takes is a little more boring at the machine shop and when its there may as well get it done right.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

have you seen a spilt block? i have and its from a SC. tunning isnt what spilts the block. go visit www.turbosmustangs.com and see how many ppl spilt blocks at 400 or more. ARP bolts dont do anything to support the block from spliting. its not the pistons either. the webbings between the lifters spilt, the block also splits between main caps

a girdle only holds the parts together, bolts/studs only hold parts on

for a hyper block its the pistons before the block but on a forged motor like 86-92 its the block same as with the hyper pistons

look at anybody making good numbers and all have non production blocks. and ask them why they went with that block...ask them how many blocks they had that split
Old 10-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

Yea so my number to go for is 450, if it break it breaks, exuse to save up for a better one lol

Quick Reply: If i was to sell this, how much would i get or ask for?