MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Cranking, no start, or barely start (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/723614-cranking-no-start-or-barely-start.html)

Nando. 01-05-2016 11:54 PM

Cranking, no start, or barely start

Hi my names fernando, i hope this isnt like the honda forums where someone says something wrong or ignorant and people just waiting to go off. Well im sorry if i do, but im in need of help, i tried searching but really nothing compares. Ive seen videos or problems similar to mine but no one really explains a solution. I have a manual 93 mustang 5.0, my dad had it in the back of our house for a couple years for a messed up fan module or sometype, and i switched it to an on and off switch fan, and got it out and running. One day he drove it and forgot to switch it on it over heated, causing it to constantly over hear so i decided to change water pump, and temperature sensor. Did that and after that it ran good until it warmed up (didnt over heat anymore) and died, after that it never ran right barely started barely stayed on and lack of power. Checked fuel pump it was good checked fuel lines good checked motor getting fuel good, did a full spark plug wires and distributor cap change, oil change, and still nothing. It has a check engine light on but have no scanner to check it and have no way to take it to an auto parts to get it checked. Guys said tfi module but i don't want to spend 30-50$ if its not that. You know. Im not being cheap but i want to know more about this problem before spending money you know. But please and thank you.

88 orangepeel notch 01-06-2016 08:38 AM

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOIN ASKING THESE QUESTIONS HERE ?!?! WE don't have time for this crap newb !!!

lol, just referencing your first comment. You'll find this is a really good forum and trashing/bashing is kept to a minimum, unless it's deserved lol.

First, welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

Second, how did you check fuel pump ? How much fuel pressure does it have ? Does it leak down right away after turning the engine off ?

Third, pulling codes on a Foxbody is easy and free. All you need is a paper clip and pencil/pad of paper. Google "Pulling Codes Foxbody" and you'll find many step by step articles on how to do it. Let us know what codes are there. That will help us get your pony back on the road.

Good luck

Chromeshadow 01-06-2016 10:01 AM

Third, pulling codes on a Foxbody is easy and free. All you need is a paper clip and pencil/pad of paper. Google "Pulling Codes Foxbody" and you'll find many step by step articles on how to do it. Let us know what codes are there. That will help us get your pony back on the road.
+1
I'd pull the plugs and see if any are wet or black, and check the oil to see if there is any foam in it.Overheating can cause head problems.

Nando. 01-06-2016 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch (Post 8523492)
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOIN ASKING THESE QUESTIONS HERE ?!?! WE don't have time for this crap newb !!!

lol, just referencing your first comment. You'll find this is a really good forum and trashing/bashing is kept to a minimum, unless it's deserved lol.

First, welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

Second, how did you check fuel pump ? How much fuel pressure does it have ? Does it leak down right away after turning the engine off ?

Good luck

I mean i heard the fuel pump work and i opened one of the fuel rail/line and it sent gas through as soon as i turned the ignition, the fuel pressure i would have to check later tonight after work and codes too lol, but thanks man cool people

Nando. 01-06-2016 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow (Post 8523503)
+1
I'd pull the plugs and see if any are wet or black, and check the oil to see if there is any foam in it.Overheating can cause head problems.

All plugs or certain plugs?

Nando. 01-06-2016 11:36 PM

so i didnt get the fuel pressure, or the codes but i changed out the tfi and it starts now but for a few seconds and dies, or stays on for atleast 10 seconds and dies if i hit the gas, checked some vaccuum lines disconnected some and plugged them in and still the same.

Chromeshadow 01-07-2016 12:06 AM

All plugs or certain plugs?
All of them, as long as they come out without breaking them. Each one tells the story of that cylinder. Black is rich-could be a bad injector or valve, white-running lean, light tan is good.

Nando. 01-07-2016 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow (Post 8523610)
All of them, as long as they come out without breaking them. Each one tells the story of that cylinder. Black is rich-could be a bad injector or valve, white-running lean, light tan is good.

Oh ok, cool thanks ill be sure to check that, how would i be able to post a video just in case i wanted to show you what it did?

88 orangepeel notch 01-07-2016 07:01 AM

Your at a point now where we need the codes that help point us in the right direction.

When it dies, does it just shut off immediately, like turning the key off, or does it spit/spudder and try to keep running without any throttle ?

Nando. 01-07-2016 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch (Post 8523621)
Your at a point now where we need the codes that help point us in the right direction.

When it dies, does it just shut off immediately, like turning the key off, or does it spit/spudder and try to keep running without any throttle ?

Well today im going to try and get the codes, when i get home from work, but yea it spit/sputters for like a second or two, if it turns on and stays on without the throttle it dies within 4-10 seconds