5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Wooops!!!! I think i have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:21 AM
pitman86gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Wooops!!!! I think i have a problem

Ok i think i may have done something stupid today. I was changing my injectors out on my 86 gt from 19lb to 24lb. I took my edlebrock performer intake off, and had this bad feeling that I dropped a nut or a lock washer in the lower intake runners. I figured i was just being paranoid so i put it back together and tried to start. It cranked over twice and then just stopped. wouldnt crank anymore so i tried to hand crand and it will go so far and stop no matter if you go backwards or forwards with the engine. Im thinking that it was one of the lock washer and it is getting hung in the intake valve and not allowing it to shut. I have the upper intake off and was debating on takeing the lower off. I cant see anything with the upper off. Thought about getting a magnet wand and trying to fish it out when valve is open. I may get it out and still have a problem. It could have bent a valve. Let me know what you all think I should do, and try to take it easy on my stupid mistake. im sure im not the only one that has done this. i alos have 89 or 90 heads on there with 1.7 rockers. stock pistons and yes they have clearance.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:12 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wooops!!!! I think i have a problem

Save you alot of trouble just to take the lower intake off. just hope it didnt fall in the heads,
Old 10-23-2005, 09:41 AM
SAKONNA
1st Gear Member

DOAH!! you feel stupit huh? Try ruining a buddy's car. If it happened to me I dont even think I'd want the car anymore lol. Anyway, We got the motor all buttoned up but we had a small clamp that went on the coolant hose on the throttle body missing(that was my side of the car). NICE! We thought nothing of it, started er up, ran fine. Took er for a test ride, GODDAMMIT we were so proud of ourselves!! In second gear with 3.08's we had to let off. They were goodyears, but still!!!! Back in the garage we gave the motor the final check. We noticed a skip, shut er down, and it never started again......The clamp fell in the combustion chamber, and bent the valve....Same thing dude, we tried turning the motor by hand, and it was like it seized. We broke it down again found the clamp and sent a brand new edlebrock head to the machine shop.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 PM
pitman86gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Save you alot of trouble just to take the lower intake off. just hope it didnt fall in the heads,
how could it fall in the heads. it would have just went into the combustion chamber via the intake valve. I think that is right. I just dont think it is possible for this lock washer to fit through the intake valve. Seems to big to fit through the intake valve. im hoping its just bound up inbetween the intake valve and its seat and not alowing it to close. it stops the motor when you hand crank it at the same spot on the timing mark. i thought maybe i could figure out exactly which cylinder it was by that. but is propably to complicated.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:07 PM
greenmachine

try the magnet wand to save u some time. if that wont work take the lower intake off get the bolt or washer, get u some new gasgets make sure you didnt ruin anything put it back togetherand go from there
Old 10-23-2005, 10:14 PM
pitman86gt
2nd Gear Member

that is what im going to try to do is pull off the lower intake. but if i dont see anything there what should i do then? pull off the head or valve cover.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:21 AM
pitman86gt
2nd Gear Member

ok after talking to some people at work they say that a nut or a lock washer could go through the intake valve and say it could have cracked the piston. I could see it if it was going 3000rpm or higher. I just cranked it over 2 times and it stoped. Now do i have to take the lower intake off to get the heads off or can i just pull the heads.. I really think that it is propably in the cylinder. One good thing is that these are just stock 89 heads and if i ruined one no big loss, but i dont want to have to replace the lower end being it was just rebuilt 20,000 miles ago. and alot more labor to pull engine. My next question is if the head is bad i dont want to spend alot of money on aluminum heads, so what would be a could alternative. LIke maybe a 351 winsor head or a gt40 head. I have seen alot of these for under 500 dollars. I have stock 86 pistons and they have been checked for clearance and wher fine with 1.7 rocker. Not alot of room, but enough. so would either of these heads be fine if the 89 is. Let me know what years i need and such to just bolt up. sorry for all the questions, but kind of new to mustangs.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dude. intake runners lead to ports in the heads. then that leads to the intake valve. after the valve opens up it enters the combustion chamber. after that it makes contact with the piston. so basically you could of scrapped a good motor by not taking precautions
Old 10-25-2005, 12:36 PM
pitman86gt
2nd Gear Member

quik thx for the help and all but no offense I already know all that and that i messed up. But could you give a little more advice on fixing the problem than making me feel dumber than i already do. I can get a 87 motor which is better than my 86 for 600 bucks plus freight. that is worse case senario. Im hopin i just hurt a valve and can either get it fixed or buy a used head or even a better gt40 head or 351w head. Just want some advice on which head to go with if i need a new one.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well if you only messed up a valve then replace the valve. make sure to lap the valve in place for it to seat correctly. if you did damage to the piston then think of a rebuild or a different shortblock. as for a totalled head if you only ruined one find another E7. and if you needed a set of stockers i could possibly sell my stockers cheap

Quick Reply: Wooops!!!! I think i have a problem