5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OVerheating problems. leaking lots of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
savegoodautonfg1

Default OVerheating problems. leaking lots of coolant

I will drive my 5.0 around for a bit then the temp guage will get kind of high and it will start smoking out of the hood. i pop the hood and it is smoking looks like from the resevoir or the radiator cap. if you press on the radiator cap more smoke shoots out. i'm not sure what could be wrong. also it leaves a puddle of coolant on the ground but when you look in the overflow tank there is still coolant in there but none in the radiator tank. what to do? please help.. out of ideas.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: OVerheating problems. leaking lots of coolant

Find out where the leak is coming from. Dry the radiator off, let the car cool down, start it up and let it run to see where it's coming from. Then replace teh defective part.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

CHeck your thermastat, might be sticking or pluged up. Also could be a water pump going bad.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Could be a whole in your rad which causes it to **** out under pressure and burn up on the block causing the steam. Also if the water pump is shot there is drip holes in it but I dont think it would be that since if it was that it wouldtn be leaking enoungh to causes steam. Id be checking to see wehre the leak is coming from to give us a better idea on what it is.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:25 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

How old is your car? Has the radiator ever been flushed or checked out? I know it's kinda dumb to ask... but most people completely overlook it. Also, if you dont know the problem, you can always take it to a shop. Usually if I can't find the problem, I take it to a shop (GCR or tire kingdom... whatever) they tell me the problem and how much it is... then i tell them it's too much and i'll just take it home and do it =)
Old 10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

First find the leak, it could be a bad radiator cap not holding pressure.
It will not use the fluid in the overflow tank if you have a leak. The fluid from the overflow tank is drawn back into the radiator as it cools down and draws a vacuum on the line in the tank. If you have a leak it will not create the vacuum to draw the fluid from the overflow tank.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go to autozone and get the loan a tool coolant system pressurizer and and u can work on the car with it cool so u dont burn urself it just basically goes on like the radiator cap and u pump up the system i had a coolant leak on the back of my intake i thought it was the coolant bypass tubes leaking turned out to be the throttle body line leaking and shooting water at the tubes definitely makes it easier
Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I take my car no where if I can't fix it.....then there is a big problem
Old 10-27-2005, 01:39 AM
69mustangowner

i screwed with the cooling system in my 89 gt and it overheated all the time. i found out it was the elctric fan i put in the car that was the problem so i put the stock **** back in and no problem.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

I would do like rmodel65 said and goto Autozone and rent the tool. I sure that you have a bad rad cap and maybe now a bad theremosat from the car getting hot.

Quick Reply: OVerheating problems. leaking lots of coolant