5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

automatic, dies when throttled in 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 AM
clctim

Default automatic, dies when throttled in 2nd and 3rd

My wife has a stock 1995 GT, automatic.
Only as about 95k miles.
A couple months ago it started stalling when you would give it gas (light or aggressive).
I thought fuel pump. so I changed it. Same issue.
Then Mass Air Flow sensor. changed it. same issue.
Finally realized that the car responds perfectly if I shift to 1st gear, but as soon as I or it upshifts to 2nd, and give it gas it is like it is losing all fuel. If when this occurs I left off it will idle, shift to neutral or 1st and it is back to responsive.

I took it to a local shop and they tried oxygen sensors on exhaust (I think) with no luck.

I am getting a high voltage, low voltage on mass air flow sensor, but the fact that the car runs fine and responsive in 1st gear leads me to believe it would be some other sensor related to gear position.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 12-23-2016, 12:24 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I know this is a total guess but it sounds like a transmission problem to me. Maybe it's locking into OD when shifting from first? thus bogging the engine down and killing it..
Old 12-23-2016, 01:06 PM
clctim

Well the car does not die when it shifts into second. And if you don't press the pedal it will idle just fine, but when you press the gas it is like it is stalling. If you let off the pedal it will go back to idle (in 2nd or 3rd).

I have tired turning Overdrive off, but same thing (fine in 1st gear not in anything else).