5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some oomph!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Razzoo

Default Need some oomph!

I just picked up a '93 LX 5.0 ragtop and want to add some cheap power. This is the newest cruiser that I have ever owned and I know nothing about fuel injection systems. I do recall reading that you change out something on the air intake that will produce good results.

Any suggestions?

Later!
Razzoo
Old 06-07-2017, 12:27 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Whats your budget?

If you want to get the biggest bang for the buck, then jump up to a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears. This will be the single most noticeable thing you do.

The only intake mods that will produce any difference is to switch to a gt40 style upper and lower intake, or better. My opinion is that nothing you do in the way of a cold air intake or intake filter will amount to any improvements with out first upgrading exhaust, heads , intake.

P.S. There is no such thing as " cheap power "

Last edited by dawson1112; 06-07-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

I've read before on this or another forum that there are three choices when it comes to parts to make our cars faster; and you only get two of the three. Cheap, fast and/or good.
For example, cheap and good would be gt40 stuff. Pretty cheap and good qualitt because its factory but it won't make you much faster.
Ebay Chinese heads and intakes are cheap and can give noticeable gains but are junk for quality.
Also another thing I've heard is how come there's never enough money to do it right the first time but always enough to do it over.
Good go fast stuff costs money. We've all been on the wrong side of a budget but if you want upgrades that will last and give you returns on your investment start saving.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Gear swap in the rearend......... Without question the best "seat of the pants" mod you can do right now. It will be money well spent and will definitely put a smile on your face.