5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BBC in Foxbody?? Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:51 PM
IQRaceworks

Question BBC in Foxbody?? Anyone done it?

Not really sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, but here goes.

I'm still trying to figure out the power for my daily driver foxbody project that I'm researching. I'm bouncing a few ideas around.....LS swap, mild 302 with FI, 347 N/A.....and now I'm thinking about a BBC with some soft of EFI on it like a Fast or Holley system. I'm looking for pretty mild HP numbers.....like 350-400hp to the tires. I also want something tame enough to drive every day that's fast, fun, reliable, and won't keep me pulling over to the pumps every other day.

Anyone put a BBC in a foxbody? Pro's, Con's? I've been a few year ago, and even a mild 454 or 468 can get you 400hp without even trying hard. Should this even be an option for me to look at, or should I stick with a boosted mild built 302? The LS swap would be fun, but to do it right.... I'm not sure I want to spend all that money ($3,000-ish by the time it's all said and done).

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Cons? Yes you will face serious scorn and hatred in this forum and others for creating a demon spawn. But seriously while not too difficult to find bbf parts and upgrades the market for BBC is vast. The easiest will obviously be a 347 since all the architecture is in place. But you can also get serious power out of a 351 based stroker and it is a much easier swap since it is also a Windsor motor.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Recently the folks at PowerNation on TV did a small block Ford vs Chevy stroker build test and the Ford put out more hp per cubic inch than the Chevy. While it is true that parts abound for Chevy small blocks and they are cheaper, it would be complete heresy to put a Chevy in a Ford. That trick is so old that it has worn out its welcome.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 PM
IQRaceworks

I was just thinking about a BBC because I've built a few....but it sounds like a stock 302 with a single turbo will easily get me where I need to be (350-400 wHP).

So......as far as turbo kits go, how do they rank as far as best to worst? From what I've read...the on3 stuff is kind of crappy. What company makes a nice turbo kit that would be reliable enough for a daily driver? Am I better off going with a singer turbo...or something like a vortec or procharger SC?

Thanks again for the info guys!!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

You should have heard the noise in the pits when we showed up with a BBC 468, on the juice, in our 1987 mustang fastback. The mustang crowd was forming a lynch mob. Seriously, this was a difficult project. Much time, money, and fabrication. If you are serious about putting a Chevy power plant in a mustang, I would suggest a 383 stroker. It would meet all your parameters and at 450 horses is very streetable. Just a suggestion from past projects.