5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car running really rough, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Default car running really rough, thoughts?

car idles really rough. if i give it any gas, the rpms do not increase, it kinda makes it die off a bit but it doesnt die, just kinda keeps chugging.
it doesnt stall, just keep lumbering along like this at idle.

the car was idling fine but the fuel pressure was really high, around 60psi. the battery isnt the strongest, so i killed it while adjusting the fuel pressure.
i took the battery out to charge it and when i put the battery back in, it wouldnt start. wore the battery down trying to start it. took battery out, charged it again,then after a day, it almost started, took it out to charge again and it started, but very rough (video above).

i dont know anything about cars, but the only variable was the pressure and the battery. seems the pressure shouldnt be the issue where i have it now (30-35psi, even if its still high), so some type of battery/current problem? seems the block is grounded fine.

i did add some fuel stabilizer last week. i dont drive the car, so it only comes on when im troubleshooting like this, so any chance the stabilizer finally mixed in and is causing this? (if putting too much stabilizer in could cause problems? i am just guessing)

so i guess 3 variables:
fuel
elecrical
pressure

any ideas guys?
thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2017, 05:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

so i pulled the coil plug wire off the distributor cap and stuck a screwdriver in the end and set it next to an intake bolt. looks like it is firing once every 1-2 seconds consistently. probably closer to 1 than 2. i will do a better check tomorrow, but it seems like its not firing nearly enough. the rpm gauge was barely above 0, i dont know how fast the start spins the engine? 50rpm? even if its as little as 25rpm, that would equal 4 fires per revolution, 100 fires per minute which would be 1.7 fires per second. im going to guess the starter spins the engine much faster than 25rpm so something is wrong here?

i never checked the spark before so i dont know how to tell if it was a really good spark or weak. seemed weak to me though if i had to assess. it was light out still, will try tomorrow when its dark.

feel free to add any thoughts!
thanks!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

after waiting a couple days with the battery out and charged up, put the battery back in and it fired right up, nice and strong. no problems with the idle. gave it gas and it revved up nice, no problems.
let it idle for a few minutes, and then it started acting screwy again
i think the battery isnt the problem

anybody think the injectors could be part of the problem? it has 30lb injectors in there now. i *think* the mass air (or whatever the thing is that is supposed to match the injectors) is set up for 30lb injectors
the 30lb injectors went in when the supercharger was installed, but the charger is gone. just have whats in my sig now
Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 AM
primo232

Default Idle problems

I have had a recurring idle problems in my 90 gt. I have been able to correct it by properly adjusting the TPS setting. Worth a try.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default car running really rough, thoughts

9550, Primo 232 makes a good point. Listening to your video I would almost believe you have two spark plug wires going to the wrong cylinders. I am probably out in left field on this one but you never know. Never hurts to check firing order.