5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 PM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Tick

Ford Dealer Put in A 302 crate engine from Summit about 3 years ago in my 95 mustang AOD. (ATK) Engine has run great. Originally had a slight tick. After 2nd oil change, tick went away.

Since then, every once in a while during hot weather the tick will reappear and then go away. Example - Just took a short trip on a 90 degree plus day. As you know, in that type of weather the SN95 runs on the hotter side of normal with the AC running. Tick had reappeared by the time we reached our destination. Came home the next morning with ambient temps running 25 degrees cooler. Car showed much cooler on temp gauge. After a very short time on Road at cooler temps, tick was gone again. I run Valvoline 10W 30 with STP.

I think it is a sticking lifter. What do you guys think? Should I run a heavier oil ? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:32 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by svfetter
Ford Dealer Put in A 302 crate engine from Summit about 3 years ago in my 95 mustang AOD. (ATK) Engine has run great. Originally had a slight tick. After 2nd oil change, tick went away.

Since then, every once in a while during hot weather the tick will reappear and then go away. Example - Just took a short trip on a 90 degree plus day. As you know, in that type of weather the SN95 runs on the hotter side of normal with the AC running. Tick had reappeared by the time we reached our destination. Came home the next morning with ambient temps running 25 degrees cooler. Car showed much cooler on temp gauge. After a very short time on Road at cooler temps, tick was gone again. I run Valvoline 10W 30 with STP.

I think it is a sticking lifter. What do you guys think? Should I run a heavier oil ? Thanks.

Valve lifters are highly precise. A tiny speck of foreign material can make one fail to "pump-up", for a short time usually, after which the "clog" is gone, and the ticking along with it.

I once had an FE engine that was prone to lifter ticking, not real loud, but frequently coming back for only seconds at a time. I lived with it. imp
Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Tick

svfetter, IMP is onto something. I would suggest using a quality , full synthetic, engine oil. The 10w30 should be adequate. The synthetic should flush out any, small, debris that may be clogging the lubrication system. good luck