5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 mustang will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Silvercracker99

Default 1989 mustang will not start

I am on the final step to get my mustang running after about a year of work. Previously I had an issue with my computer not telling the injectors to open. After getting a new one the issue was still the same so I looked at my injector harness and the wires were garbage so I got a new harness, installed that, now all the sudden the car won't even turn over. I tested all over the ignition to make sure nothing was knocked loose or got burned up. And nothing seems to be wrong. Nothing to my knowledge on the injector harness involves making the engine turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:41 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silvercracker99
I am on the final step to get my mustang running after about a year of work. Previously I had an issue with my computer not telling the injectors to open. After getting a new one the issue was still the same so I looked at my injector harness and the wires were garbage so I got a new harness, installed that, now all the sudden the car won't even turn over. I tested all over the ignition to make sure nothing was knocked loose or got burned up. And nothing seems to be wrong. Nothing to my knowledge on the injector harness involves making the engine turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If necessary start with the absolute basics. First, by "turn over" you mean crankshaft does not turn, NOT turns but fails to start, right? Ignition, or lack of it, has nothing to do with the engine cranking over.

Be sure battery is good, capable of turning an engine. If certain it is, have starter tested at Auto Parts, or test it yourself. Starter proves good, check, clean battery cable terminals. Check ground cable connection to engine block. Check starter solenoid. Bypass it to test, see of starter turns over. imp

Old 08-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Silvercracker99

Originally Posted by imp
If necessary start with the absolute basics. First, by "turn over" you mean crankshaft does not turn, NOT turns but fails to start, right? Ignition, or lack of it, has nothing to do with the engine cranking over.

Be sure battery is good, capable of turning an engine. If certain it is, have starter tested at Auto Parts, or test it yourself. Starter proves good, check, clean battery cable terminals. Check ground cable connection to engine block. Check starter solenoid. Bypass it to test, see of starter turns over. imp
The battery, starter, solenoid, and connections are all solid. And yes I mean the crankshaft will not turn.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Trace power. Make sure you're getting full battery voltage to the solenoid, then check the signal circuit.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Silvercracker99

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Trace power. Make sure you're getting full battery voltage to the solenoid, then check the signal circuit.
Both look to be in good order. I even went as far as looking at my ignition switch, ignition cylinder, and my neutral safety, and things still look good and solid. The only thing that changed from when the crank would change to now is my injector harness. I took the intake manifold off to make it easier but that's it.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

What does "things look good and solid" mean? Did you test anything yet?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Silvercracker99

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
What does "things look good and solid" mean? Did you test anything yet?
I've tested the wiring to check for shorts or loose connections.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:12 PM
Silvercracker99

Originally Posted by Silvercracker99
UPDATE: I noticed while my transmission is in PARK the reverse lights are on, and turn off when going into REVERSE then back on again in NEUTRAL. Something is obviously not right lol. It's a step in the right direction, but any help is still very helpful and greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

There is absolutely nothing on the injector harness that could cause a no crank condition.It would only cause a crank but doesnt start condition.
If you lay a screwdriver across both large solenoid posts,the starter should turn over.If it does, the starter, starter cable & battery are good. Next remove the red/blue wire from the small solenoid post,connect multimeter leads between it & ground then turn the key to start.You should get battery voltage with the key in the start position.
If not,the problem is in the ignition switch, nss or wiring.If you don't get a reading with the shifter in park,move it to Neutral and try again.If you get a reading in neutral, reconnect the red/blue wire and try starting it with the shifter in neutral.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Silvercracker99

Originally Posted by wbrockstar
There is absolutely nothing on the injector harness that could cause a no crank condition.It would only cause a crank but doesnt start condition.
If you lay a screwdriver across both large solenoid posts,the starter should turn over.If it does, the starter, starter cable & battery are good. Next remove the red/blue wire from the small solenoid post,connect multimeter leads between it & ground then turn the key to start.You should get battery voltage with the key in the start position.
If not,the problem is in the ignition switch, nss or wiring.If you don't get a reading with the shifter in park,move it to Neutral and try again.If you get a reading in neutral, reconnect the red/blue wire and try starting it with the shifter in neutral.
I understand that, and everything tests good. But that I noticed is my backup lights pop on in park and in neutral. Everything is adjusted correctly, and I'm told that you cannot adjust the neutral safety.

Quick Reply: 1989 mustang will not start