5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 wiring help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Coleeakle

Default 1989 wiring help!!

Hey guys have a 1989 mustang gt. Just dropped motor in and plugged everything up. I need help to what wires go to my alternator and what goes to my starter? I have both stock alternator and starter. At a lost!! Thank you!
Old 05-06-2020, 10:17 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Old 05-06-2020, 10:28 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

I believe the two alternator harnesses travel from the driver side towards the passenger side and ​run along the radiator near the top (on the engine side)​​​​​​ and come out underneath the air filter box.
The first diagram below shows the alternator harnesses wire colors to go with the images
Almost Stock posted.BTW- he is the diagram king.If you need one for a Foxbody,he's most likely got it.

The starter cable is a large black 4ga cable that comes off the large post on the fender mounted solenoid that has no other cables/wires attached to it.So youve only got that one cable to look for on the standard starter.If you had a mini starter, there would be one 4ga cable and one 12ga wire running from the solenoid.The second diagram below will help with the starter solenoid wiring layout.

Ignore the clocked position of the solenoid thats shown in the diagram.Just look for the two large posts on the solenoid then look at the post which only has one 4ga cable attached to it and thats your starter cable.If its the oem cable,it will be black in color.If its been replaced,it could be black or red depending on which cable the previous owner purchased and installed.

Last edited by wbrockstar; 05-07-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Coleeakle

Thank you! Got the motor cranking. This is where I’m at. The alternator wire harness along with throttle body harness is no where to be found. Also have to power to pcm? Not getting fuel as well? I’m in a wire mess.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Coleeakle

Originally Posted by Coleeakle
Thank you! Got the motor cranking. This is where I’m at. The alternator wire harness along with throttle body harness is no where to be found. Also have to power to pcm? Not getting fuel as well? I’m in a wire mess.

also looks like wires are cut everywhere on my headlight wire harness that the alternator plugs into.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Coleeakle

Originally Posted by Coleeakle
also looks like wires are cut everywhere on my headlight wire harness that the alternator plugs into.
got alternator wired. Now looks like no power to pcm. No fuel. Have multiple cut wires by starter relay as well as a cut wire to ignition coil.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:07 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Yeah thats a mess.Appears to have an aftermarket coil also.When the key is turned to the on/run position,the eec relay is energized and the relay supplies ignition on power to the ecu,fuel
pump relay,fuel injectors & the other actuators and solenoids.So if the eec relay isnt being powered up,none of those components will work.
There are also numerous wires coming off the fender mounted starter solenoid that have fusible links inline with them which can blow and cause important components to not power up.Make sure the appropriate links for the components you suspect arent working have continuity.The diagrams at the bottom detail your wiring & fusible links layout.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:40 AM
Coleeakle

Originally Posted by wbrockstar
Yeah thats a mess.Appears to have an aftermarket coil also.When the key is turned to the on/run position,the eec relay is energized and the relay supplies ignition on power to the ecu,fuel
pump relay,fuel injectors & the other actuators and solenoids.So if the eec relay isnt being powered up,none of those components will work.
There are also numerous wires coming off the fender mounted starter solenoid that have fusible links inline with them which can blow and cause important components to not power up.Make sure the appropriate links for the components you suspect arent working have continuity.The diagrams at the bottom detail your wiring & fusible links layout.

thank you! I’ll start huntin for them.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:06 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

If either image in post #8 is blurry,when you view it as is or zoom in,just click on the image and it will open up on another page which will make the blurry view clear up so you can see it.Disconnect the iac valve harness or a injector harness, connect a multimeter black lead to ground and the red lead to the red wire on either harness above & turn the key to run,the meter should read 12volts if the eec relay is working.If it doesn't,
check the fusible link for the eec relay to see if its blown.Every component in the engine bay you see that has a red wire connected to it,is powered by the eec relay.So if none of these items are working,the eec relay,fusible link for the relay or one of the other 3 wires connected to the relay is suspect.

Quick Reply: 1989 wiring help!!