5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dyno Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

Default Dyno Tuning

what does a "dyno tune" do for you? Should you have one done anyway after you mod your car? How does it work?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:12 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno Tuning

dyno tuning check the air fuel ratio among other things to see if your running rich or running lean, the tuning is when you adjust the fuel curves and or messing with fuel pressure.. all in which to see which combo makes the most power safely
Old 11-21-2005, 07:13 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

it's about useless in the real world
Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

Whys that?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:25 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

because your in a sorta controlled area with just a fan....this is why a tweecer rt is nice as you can make REAL WORLD changes via laptop or your home pc...or even a pms system
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

on heavily modded motors some sort of tuning is a must. if you dont have a way of doing it yourself, the dyno tuner is pretty much your only help
Old 11-21-2005, 09:38 PM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

unless you want to melt your motor.

1. set a/f to 13 to 1 n/a or 11.5 to 1 with power adder.
2. find what timing your car likes
3. and determine if you need a custom tune chip. "if a/f is consistant"
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 PM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

I plan on supercharging 9psi within the next month, what should I have done after the mod?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:19 AM
KovacMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Dyno tuning can be very beneficial. It allows you to actually see how the changes to your tune effect your horsepower and torque. True you dont race dynos but its much better than tuning blind on the street and safer too. For a bone stock car its not really worth it for the money and even the common bolt on cars can be covered with one of my base tunes without dyno tuning, but for supercharged cars or more heavily modified heads and cam cars with stroker combos I think its the best way to tune for max power. With the right dyno you can load the car and tune for drivability as well. It allows you too see what your doing right and what your doing wrong and where you can correct it by having a more accurate guage by which to tune other than the seat of your pants. Nothin beats a dyno chart, a wide band O2, and a datalogger for tuning.

ORIGINAL: StangStang

I plan on supercharging 9psi within the next month, what should I have done after the mod?
In answer to your question Stang Stang a good dyno tune would benefit your supercharger install. Not knowing what type of supercharger or supporting hardware your using its hard to say. Im assuming your kit comes with and your using some sort of boost pump, a larger Maf, Throttle body, and injectors. Your timing curve will need to be adjusted by taking some out in the high load high RPM areas in addition a few other spark tables could be modified depending on what year your car is. Your Maf transfer table should be recalibrated, especially if its a non-stock MAF and your running the larger injectors. Your A/F ratio will probably need to be leaned out abit at lower loads and richened some in the mid to high load ranges. With 9psi it should hover around the 12:1 in high load conditions but could be a bit leaner or richer, it varies from car to car . Insure that the ACT (Air Charge Temp.) sensor is installed on the discharge side of the supercharger as it gives your cars PCM a more accurate air temp reading to make its calculations by. That's a broad overview of what things I would consider when Installing a supercharger.

Doc
www.kovacmotorsports.com
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 AM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KovacMotorsports

ACT (Air Charge Temp.)

Doc
www.kovacmotorsports.com
What exactly is that? Where is it located on the engine?

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning