5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

installing shorttube headers......

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Default installing shorttube headers......

i called my muffler shop that i always go to, and they wanted 300 dollars to install my MAC equallength shorttubes. That really doesnt seem worth it to me for like a 8hp gain. I was wondering how hard are they to install and what does it all take to do so. I know you have to take out of the spark plugs.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
JustinBHR
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: installing shorttube headers......

The toughest part will probably be getting the old bolts out.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

You can do this job your self, do it on a weekend. The hardest part when I did mine was on the passenger side but I overcame. Just need a little patience.
I like your car man.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

There are a couple of things that you have to do. As long as you have the tools you can do all this in your drive way. First i would put it up on ramps so that you can get under the car better. Second you have to disconnect and remove your air intake tube, wires and plugs. Third you have to disconnect the hoses that go to pipe that come from the H-pipe. Fourth, you have to undo the mufflers and the h-pipe from the headers then move the H-pipe back a little so that when you do the Passanger side you won't run into any problems. Undo the bolts and remove the old headers and do everthing in reverse order. Oh yeah, one other thing I would disconnect the battery just incase you do something causing it to arc. I know that it seems like a lot but once you get it done you'll be happy that you saved your self the money. make sure that you let them go through a heat cycle or two then check all your bolts to make sure that they are all thight. It took me about an hour and half to do it. I also had a lift to use so I didn't have to crawl under the car to move anything. Good luck.

One other thing I had MAC headers on my stang but didn't like them I bought some BBK's and love them. I think that it had more to do with how easy they went on.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:03 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I would def. sit down and do them yourself before you spend $300 dollars to have someone put them on for you. They are not hard, they are just sometimes VERY frustrating. Just take your time and it will get done. And than you also have the satisifactory of doing them yourself ya know. Good luck with everything.

Dan B.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:35 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

yea im going to wait to put them on. With this paycheck im putting my x pipe on, getting 2 chamber flowmasters, and changing the exhaust to turndowns, so it will be louder than hell, cause thats how i like it . Thanks for the help though guys, i will get them in the near future. Yea i was actually thinking about BBk ones instead, but i wasnt sure.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Do them yourself definately. I would put the car up on ramps as suggested but do this night before you want to get started on them. Spray some WD-40 on all the nuts and let it sit overnight. This will make breaking the old bolts loose much easier and keep you from possbile breaking a stud! You will also want to get a torque wrech. Headers leak for one main reason. Improper Torque which blows out the gasket.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Mustang5.0_GT
3rd Gear Member

Dont get Slowmasters get SLP LoudMouth 1's or your car if you want loud
Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Some Flowmaster American Thunders sound nasty. Not as loud but nice and deep.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:23 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Flowmasters sound nice but they flow terrible compared to other mufflers on the market

Quick Reply: installing shorttube headers......