5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

black interior swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

Default black interior swap

i'm curious has anyone done this? i;m almost done but have a few issues the main one being the dash vents i can't afford a 300$ and up stock black dash so i am going to paint mine. but what can i do about the ac vents stangparts.com has none. and i am currently bidding on just the center vent which is already at an ungodly amount. i'm already in this damn swap for well over my budget but i have painted very little and all i have left is this dang dash. any help?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: black interior swap

I am in the middle of converting mine to black also. The vents in the dash just pop out and you can paint them. they wont have the lines on the **** but you really dont need them.. Its not like you cant see where the vents are pointing. What kind of paint are you using? Im using SEM Color Coat Landau black. It looks GREAT! $10's a can though.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

What kind of prep work did you do on the panels before painting?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

i.m using the same paint. i am cleaning everything with simple green and using a adhesive promoter. that paint is worth every penny you cant tell the difference between it and factory. i think my color is just a semi gloss black.

PICS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? i would like to see how they come out painted.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Cool. I am VERY satisified with the way my paint came out. I was wiping the panels down with DuPont Sontara wipes (pre-saturated static control wipes) and lightly scuffing them than using the wipes again and than paint. Everything is comming out excellent. I basically have everything done except for the dash also. How many coats did you do?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

put it this way i used an entire can on the center console, probably 4-5. overkill i know but if i get a scratch i want black under there and not grey. i edited my previous thread check it and see if you can help me out.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

what all did you paint? i only painted plastic items so far. new carpet factory black all leather door panels (yes they were hella expensive)leather seats pretty much any thing that comes in contact i tried not to paint just to be safe. i'll have pics soon as i get the carpet int which is gonna be a pain to cut the openings and all.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea. I used a can each for the quarters. I also did about 4-5 decent coats. Like you said, I dont want anything to chip and show grey. Also, I lied I did not do any of the metal pieces yet (pieces surrounding the headliner) because I wanted to talk to the paint shop first and make sure that the paint will stick nicely. Also, I want to look into getting new panels. Where did you get yours from? Also, you said "pretty much anything that comes in contact I tried not to paint". What did you mean by that ?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

If I'm not mistaking... all of the vents should pop out. Are you painting this stuff IN the car?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

i meant that anthying that you touch our your feet touch are that comes into contact with cargo and passangers i don't want painted so theres no risck of scratching our wearing the paint down. i pulled everything out i've painted thus far this way it's easuer to clean and paint. i haven't done the dash yet though thats gonna be a pain. what are you gonna do about the seat belts and the headliner? oh and two weeks after i paid a small fortune for my panles 50resto cam out with remakes that are pretty cheap but look like they would be a pain to install because you have to cut all the openings yourself. check em out though they look good.

Quick Reply: black interior swap