5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:52 PM
jstar427

Default Alternators

I have a 1990 5.0 LX automatic...It has been eating up alternators like candy [:@] It has been through at least 6-8 alternators in the past year alone....And about 3 batteries due to the this problem
Can anyone who has a similar stang give me some advice??? Or maybe a link as to where to buy a quality alternator that will laaaassst??????????
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Alternators

Damn something is wrong, you have a huge stereo? Whats going in the Altenator the brushes or the bearings? Sound more like a wiring problem to me unless its the bearings going!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Kbush723
2nd Gear Member

deffinitly sounds like a wiring issue i dont see bearings failing in 6-8 alternators... what kind of stereo equip you got ... sounds like theres something putting a huge draw on the alternator overloading and cooking them..
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I could see the bearings going out *IF* he/she had some goofy pulley alignment or something.......

Don't ask me how I know

Are you buying new ones, junk yard, rebuilt ????
Old 12-01-2005, 06:41 AM
jstar427

I don't know if it is wiring problems? I have had them put in by a mechanic that has been working on it for a long while now and knows the car pretty well...But yes, they are rebuilt/remanufactured, I have been told that is the reason why they are not lasting because the rebuilt alternator just doesn't last in that year mustangs or camaros. That the same alternator can be put into a honda or toyota and last for years and years [sm=rolleyes.gif]
As far as I know everything is hooked up where it should be, I have a vacuum hose that needs replacing that I have to order from Ford. It runs really well other than the alternator problem, when I come to a stop, my battery meter goes almost all the way down and if my headlights are on they get really dim, then when I move battery meter goes back up and headlights brighten a little...
I don't have a huge stereo system in it, just a cd player and the regular speakers, no amp or anything fancy, but I got the car from my ex and he had all that stereo stuff in there, which he took out before I got it. I just had it in at the Ford dealer and had over 500 worth of electrical work done on it and the rep there said the alternator I had in there was a piece of crap pretty much and recommends Ford's rebuilt alternator at about 400 buckaroos, which I dun have that much right now to spend [:@]
I have found a guy on ebay who custom builds reman alternators with 6 70 amp diodes and puts out 140 amps for the yr stang I have, and is selling for about 130 bucks.
Everyone that i have talked to has said anything between 75-125 amps would be ok to use, so I dunno lol
Does anyone have an alternator in their stang that puts out that many amps?
I have been told I can't buy a new alternator for 90 stang, lol if anyone knows where to get one new lemme know
Old 12-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

hey hon, it sounds like they are running you around. one that mechanic is out there to make money. Fawk him and tell ford to kiss your ****. no alt is 400 bucks. if you continue to have issues i would just use a 1 wire alt. this way you cant have issues. its simple cause you run the alt directly to the battery. its more effiencent.

now if a ground is bad it wont charge correctly and will shorten an alts life
Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

That alternator better be plated in 24k gold for $400... and it better talk to you too Like Quik said, go buy a Powermaster 1 wire hookup for $130 dollars. BRAND NEW! And PowerMaster VERY VERY reputable!

Heres what I got from SummitRacing.com
Part Type: Alternators
Make: FORD
Model: MUSTANG
Engine Type: V8
Engine Size: 5.0L/302
Year: 1990
Advertised Amperage Output: 100 amps
One Wire Capable: Yes
Keyword: "Powermaster"

Dont listen to what they are telling you.. they are trying to take your money and run. Dont let it happen. Check out summitracing, jegs, yearone, powermaster for alts. Good luck
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Kbush723
2nd Gear Member

what is the output of a stock alt at cruising any one know..? 75 range..? or am a little low..
Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
jstar427

That alternator better be plated in 24k gold for $400... and it better talk to you too Like Quik said, go buy a Powermaster 1 wire hookup for $130 dollars. BRAND NEW! And PowerMaster VERY VERY reputable!

Hahahahaha [sm=smiley36.gif] I think I said close to the same thing when I heard that price...[sm=smiley17.gif]

Thanks for the info guys
Old 12-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

has the Voltage regulator been replaced with the alt every time? I forget what year they actually started including the VR in the alt.

Quick Reply: Alternators