5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car not running right...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default Car not running right...

Got bored tonight, didnt have any thing to do.

Well here goes, ill try to discribe what the car does as best as I can.

The car started right up when I turned the key, it idles really well, even without the Maf Convertion. Well I start going down the road slowly just to get the car warmed up a bit, I wouldnt want to break anything because I just got everything new and spent a week and a half getting it to run.
When it finally warmed up I decided to give it a little gas just to see how my mods improved the car.

The car would hesitate to accelerate, and then it started making a poping noise like if it was back firing, I double checked the wires and they seem in right order so I dont think thats the problem.

What do you guys think it is?? Im thinking it might be the fuel pressure, or somthing along those lines. Also how do you adjust the fuel pressure and what do you guys set yours to?

Would a inproper rocker install cause it to do this? Will the Maf swap help this?

Please help I hate when **** doesnt go right.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Car not running right...

If you want to adjust your fuel pressure you can get a fuel pressure regulator. You can get them at www.summitracing.com
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Get a fuel pressure gauge as well....and a code reader they are crucial in tuning your own car. I had the same problem with my Speed Den Setup got fed up and converted to MAF then it cleared the problem up, but I changed the O2 sensors and adjusted the fuel pressure with the MAF before running it soo I really can't say what the problem was.... My guess is fuel pressure do you still have the stock pump?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yeah stock pump and injectors.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

well you changed intakes right? is it possible the tps isnt set correctly?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:06 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Yeah Check the TPS as well but I can bet that your running lean now!.... I would be getting ready to drop that tank, the stock pumped are very very very poor in Mustangs and can only support minor mods, the best way to check is to get a code reader, and a pressure gauge.... costs like 100-150 for the pair, there is a way tocheck things with a multi meter but its kind of confussing( I just went out and bough a reader) but some people do it.... I can give you a link if you want. But the next step with or without a pro tune is getting a Adustable Regulator, New 190 LPH Pump or larger, and a code reader and fuel gauge..... If you are taking it in to get a tune you may be able to let the Reader and gauge slide but like I said I would be lost without mine now.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

If you go to www.holcombmotorsports.com they sell a adjustable fuel pressure regulator along with a guage for $109.95
Old 12-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

One more thing. Do you need two fuel pressure regulators or only one? Is it for each fuel rail or no?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:28 PM
bmanice

you need one reg for your motor, adjust it with the L key, and your done, did u tune your computer at all? chances are it might need to be re-mapped if u did alot of mods, but yea check your pressure, timing, and deffinatley see what codes are being thrown from your ecu, and go from there...also, 88bluegt has a nice BBK fuel reg with a marshall liquid filled guage that he used like 1 time and then ripped his whole motor apart lol..... hes selling it, and its in perfect condition, so shoot him a PM....
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

he shouldnt need the computer re mapped at all yet... He kept the stock cam in and runs on SD as long as you dont run Agressive cams SD is fine with just the stock mapping....its when you run more duration where SD falls out.

Quick Reply: Car not running right...