5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TOO HOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default TOO HOT!!!

Ok so I have been going through spark plug wires like nothing. I have burnt through 2 msd wires and a few other ones. The thing is that they dont ouch the header. I got pretty good at this after a little bit and I have no idea what to do about this. I heard there are some kind of socks that you can put on the boot anyone know of this? Or is my car burning too much fuel or what? TIA
Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TOO HOT!!!

you could put some kind of cowl or scoop hood on it. it will lower underhood temps by prolly around 150 degrees as well as add some style to your car.

your motor is not running to hot is it?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:32 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

you can use a number of diffrent heat shield on your wires, but ive never had that problem, if your wires arent touching anything sounds like your motor is running way hot
Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

thoes plug covers, msd makes them they are like $80, sounds to me like you may be lean.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

well just a thought here... too small of a plug wire? If its not touching anything then its burning up from either ambient heat, or internal heat. Here is my thinking... If you cross battery terminals with a wrench, if you cant get the wrench off one of them real damn quick, it will soon get extremely hot and probably weld itself on. If you take some small gauge wire and connect terminals, the wire will literally burn up right in your hands. I watched a kid do it, and he was holding it, and the wire literally went up in smoke and left burn marks... it was almost instant.

IF your running a high output ignition, and too small a wire(more resistance-> more heat) and an engine compartment thats hotter than usual, this might be your problem.

Just a thought here.

What size wires are you running?

Jim
Old 01-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

I believe they are 8mm I believe they are some ****ty ones. Maybe I will look into the MSD again and getting some sort of sleeve or something. Which MSD wires would you guys recommend I do have the blaster coil I forgot if they are heli core or the other ones.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:44 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Crazyfast50stang

I believe they are 8mm I believe they are some ****ty ones. Maybe I will look into the MSD again and getting some sort of sleeve or something. Which MSD wires would you guys recommend I do have the blaster coil I forgot if they are heli core or the other ones.
8mm is a pretty decent sized wire, but you do have the blaster coil and *** you say, ****ty wires. Alot of times they just have that ribbed plastic tubing with the slit in it that fits over the wire. IDK how much it REALLY helps.

For the DD bosch is tops, good quality stuff, but not performance oriented.

ACCELL and MSD are both reputable, had good luck MSD 8mms

Do you think it might be related to heat from resistance? It was just a theory... ifyou havea burned plug wire cut it open and do some investigating...

Something like this maybe?
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=KeywordSearch

Jim
Old 01-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

It could be the resistance. I got the wires from pep boys and they arent high performance. I'll look into the accel and MSD. Thanks. Also i might look into a cowl. That would help a bunch I know.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:57 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Crazyfast50stang

. I got the wires from pep boys

well we found your problem...

Haha seriously though, if you have a multimeter, measure the resistance of one of the current wires and have a buddy pull off an MSD or other high performance wires and measure just for HA-HA's... you might have found the problem or you might have to keep looking.

Jim
Old 01-07-2006, 03:05 AM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

Have you thought about trying Taylor Wires.?

Quick Reply: TOO HOT!!!