5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help me pick out a cam and lifter package...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:04 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default Help me pick out a cam and lifter package...

Hey guys, I really don't know cams that well and I'm going to be replacing my lifters and my timing chain and cam. So if someone could find one with a cam that's not really wild but enough to give me a nice lope and makes power from idle to 5500 rpms (or higher). Here's an example of one kit, http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...+-59014+-42368 , I know that this one might not be the correct one for my set up but it's just an example. My lifters and cam are hydraulic/roller right? And once again, I do not plan on adding heads anytime soon, I plan on doing an intake though.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Help me pick out a cam and lifter package...

yes you have Hydrulic roller lifters, and ford reacing lifter will be fine...Any aftermarket cam will be fine...you can get TrickFlow stage 1 cam or something like e303 cam, or comp cams, It would help more to get a dual pattern cam, crom crane or comp cams...But first you need to decide on what your combo is...Example....if you buy a e303 cam for a monster stroker motor, the cam really isnt going to be good engough for that application...But thats probally not the case, as I can see your another fellow stanger that would like a nice mild cam for a good street H/C/I setup...If your doing something for mild street use. E303 or b303<(more for track use), the TFS stage 1, and or find a comp cams cam that has clost to the same specs, example TFS cam has .499 lift the max for stock applications is around .520 or so...that the heads can handle make sure you select a cam that wont make you have P/V clearence probs later on... Any of those cams will be good with Trick flow heads or some AFR 165 or some Edlebrock heads or even some cast iron Gt-40 any of those cams will work great.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I would keep the stock lifters, unless of course they are falling apart I am jsut replacing mine now and my engine has about 230,000 miles on it and they were still in alright condition. Therefore that should save you some money right from the start. As for cam I would go with the E-Cam in your situation, the lift is still fairly low which will stress less on the stock valve springs, it has a nice sound to it and should increase your HP across the board as well. They are reasonably priced as well and in the future you can always add some 1.7 RR's to get more outa the cam.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

well the Trickflow cam is a better cam than the e cam, and the TFS cam gives better sounding idle and more power throught the power band over the Out dated e-303, but dont get me wrong they are both good cams, I personally pefer the crane cams or comp cams, Anderson makes some good custom cams also, these are more expensive cams.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Well the entire reason for replacing all of this is because I think that I've got a bad lifter or something. I still need to pull my right side valve cover and check my valve lash on the #4 cylinder, I can hear the ticking right there. So, there are a million Comp Cams and Trick Flow cams, can someone send me a link to the correct trick flow cam that I should be looking at. I don't think that I'll have problems picking out a timing chain. About the lifters, are the Ford Racing lifters the only ones I should go with? I'm sure that I can go pick some up at NAPA or Autozone, or does it really matter? Same thing with the timing chain? Get a name brand one off of Summit or get one at NAPA?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Your not going to get the full potential outta a cam without some better flowing intake and heads.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:18 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i used the edlebroch timing set from summit pretty cheap too.
the ticking could be weak valve springs too,can you wait,and get heads later?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:19 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I would at least do intake before you upgraded your cam...
Old 01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Hello captain obvious (just messin with ya), but I'm going to go ahead and do it while I'm replacing everything down there anyways. It'll sound nicer and I'm sure that there will be a SOTP difference. Now look at this brand new 5.0 mustangs and fast fords and they picked up like 30 h.p. and 20 ft. lbs of torque with a cam, lifter, timing chain and gears and that's it I beleive, bone stock car, I'll look at it again when I get home. Can't wait to see if it's my valve lash or my lifters.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yeah I was just saying a Head intake combo would be great with the cam, but by all means for sure if your going to be tearing the front part of the motor along with the top by all means put a cam in, if it doesnt help performance much you still will have that lovely loopy cam sound. And that sound is always worth it.

Quick Reply: Help me pick out a cam and lifter package...