5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clicking sound from tires...not a nail, lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Default clicking sound from tires...not a nail, lol

Ok heres the problem, there is a clicking sound form the front tires on both side, its like theres a nail in the tire when there isnt, its like there is something on the front susp that makeing this clicking noise everythime the tire rotates, it makes like a clicking sound, its always there. when i take off the tire and spin the rotor there is no clicking noise. I cant figure it out. it making my car sound like a piece. as you go faster the clicking goes faster, as you slow down the clicking sound slows down. you cant hear it form the inside, but with the windows down you can hear it. Its not coming form the engine, its definitley from the susp. anyone else have a clicking form the tires. to best describe the sound it sounds like there is a spring that is touching the rim and everytime the wheel moves it hits the tire, it sounds just like a nail in the tire, there is no nail in my tire...anyone have ideas, I also check if anything is touching the tire or anything out of the normal, but it looks good. so it probally like some bearing or something...I need help
Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 PM
tonymcclellan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: clicking sound from tires...not a nail, lol

I have the same problem but have no idea what it is either. Is it more notceable when driving next to a wall or sidewalk? Anyone?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

yea its a freaking gay noise clicking sound....It makes my car sound like a piece when I drive past cars you can hear the clicking sound louder ...and when I pull into driveways picking up people I hear that gay clicking sound, does anyone know what it is?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

The wall is echoing the noise
Old 01-12-2006, 06:19 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Is the clicking consistent? I mean does it click for every rotation of the tire or is it completely random...

Id be more inclined to think it is a wheel bearing, although I am no mechanic. You say its not there with the wheel off, what happens when you put the wheel on and spin it? If it clicks in that case, it would seem even more like a wheel bearing... cant handle weight.

Jim
Old 01-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Its more than likely a wheel bearing, Pull the dust cap from the rotor and se if theres any greese in there.

Could it also be a loose bolt in the strut? Or shock?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:49 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Actually it only does it when im in the car but when you take the wheel off it doesnt click do it, and when you put the wheel back on while on jack stands and spin the tire it doesnt click, but when Im in the car it clicks, and when I have a passenger that tire will make the clicking noise. Is this problem sound like a wheel bearing, and how hard is it to replace?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

does it click louder when turning? it sounds like wheel bearings
Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

i had that problem it was a bent inner wheel bearing,
Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

it sometimes goes away when I turn the wheel left and right like a maniac it makes the clicking go away for that amount im am moving the wheel left and right.the the clicking comes back, you can hear the click less and less the faster I go, it turns in to kinda ofa whine, but not really a wine sound, from the tire spinning so fast it makes the clicking turn into blurr.

Quick Reply: clicking sound from tires...not a nail, lol