5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5 lug conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

Default 5 lug conversion

hey guys i did a 5 lug conversion in the rear of my car with a sn95 rear end. i never got a chance to do the front. I have a question about the front. Can i use the 89 calipers or do i need to change out to the 95 calipers. and if i do change to the 95 calipers, i need to swap the brake lines also too right? i ened advise asap because i am thinking of trying to do it this weekend. thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5 lug conversion

if you go with SN95 spindles, you need SN95 brakes

if you use Mark VII rotors, you can keep your stock calipers
Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Correct....but if you do mark/svo rotors on the front your wheel selection will be very limited...And the sn95 brake lines will bolt right up to the hardline on the driver side of your fox but a adapter will be needed to use it on the passanger side...If there is anymore questions just ask...i've done all kinds of 5 lug conversion's on these cars...also what wheel do you plan on running.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangpower96

Correct....but if you do mark/svo rotors on the front your wheel selection will be very limited
Yes, youre basically stuck with wheels that have center caps, like the waffle stars for example
Old 01-18-2006, 03:58 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

stangpower, does 96 - 99 mustang front spindles,calipers,etc. work on the fox? noticed you had done a lot of brake change overs.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:11 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crazyhorse

stangpower, does 96 - 99 mustang front spindles,calipers,etc. work on the fox? noticed you had done a lot of brake change overs.
You need 94/95 spindles. But I used '01 calipers. I'd recommend using '99-up calipers to get the dual pistons. They are better than the 94/95 calipers.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:35 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Hey stangpower, I'm also interested in doing the 5 lug down the road.

I think it would be a great contribution, based on your experience, if you wrote a good stickey on the conversion
including parts, options, exc.
I know I would appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Well you can use the 96+ spindles but they will make the track width 8mm wider over stock...Which you probaly get away with if you runned oe 17x8's with a 235 tire..
Old 01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Parts needed for 5 lug conversion

Option 1.
Two LEFT side ranger axles with the 9 inch drums which can be found on the 4 cyl with 7.5 rearend..
And two Mark or SVO rotors..these are just a bolt on affair but your wheel selection will be limited.."97 and earlier cobras and some aftermarket wheels will work and so will some newer wheels but the center cap will not fit because of the dust cap..You could also upgrade to svo calipers which is also a simple bolt on since your factory calipers are 60mm and the svo's have bigger pistions..

Option 2.
94-95 spindles,hubs,dust sheilds,calipers,caliper brackets,correct pads.etc..
You can use the factory brake lines from the SN95 but the passanger side will not work with the fox factory hard line so a adapter will have to be used or you could just order SS lines from Maxium Motorsports which will bolt right up to your fox hardlines just call them and they will give you brake lines for you needs.
Also either you will need to use washers are a spacer to the height of .330 to accomadate for the fox's longer ball joints are simply just press SN95 ball joints in your fox lower control arms.
You can also upgrade to the 99+PBR dual pistion caliper's easily the only thing you will need is the pbr calipers,brackets and brake lines..BUT you will have to grind 5mm off the caliper mounting ears on the 94-95 spindle for them to clear..

You could also us the sn95 rear axles and brake setup But this will increase the rearend track witdh by .25 each side which can cause rubbing problems with bigger tires"275's" or a bigger wheel"17x9's" But if you do a rear disc conversion you WILL HAVE too upgrade the master cylinder and possibly the Brake booster...For a aftermarket cam car the 93 cobra master cylinder works great with good pedal feel but you will have to do a 3-2 port conversion which maxuim motorsports sell along with other companies also you will have to do a adjustible poportiong valve and actually gut the factory PV,For a factory cam car a 94-95 v6/gt master cylinder will work good with a 1 1/16 bore put this too will reguire the 3-2 port conversion..You can use the ranger axles and sn95 rear disc parts with the purchase of custom brackets which a company does produce but i can't think of the name rigth of hand..
The 96+ spindles will work but the WILL INCREASE TRACK WITH BY 8MM EACH SIDE.So on a lowered car wanting to run 9 in wheel i would not recommend them.

Im sure there's things i missed if there is anyother question ask and i will edit this and put the anwser in with the rest of it...
Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 AM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

do they make any rear disc brake conversion thats not gonna make it stick out any further? cause im converting to 5 lug, and i already bough my axles but i bought them from yrs of 94-95 cars so i can just bolt up the brake parts i need. and im gonna be running a 9inch wide tire

Quick Reply: 5 lug conversion