5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need alternator/pulleys help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 AM
highway21
2nd Gear Member

Default need alternator/pulleys help!!!!!!

Ok this is how it went down. Last night I was coming from school and my car started to bog and jerk like it was out of gas or something. I made it half way home when it cut of again. It would start but would jump from 300 rpm to 1000 rpm and then the car would cut off. I thought it was out of gas (bad fuel guage or something) or it was the fuel filter. We put gas in it and it did the same thing 300 rpm 500rpm then 300rpm then the motor woud cut off. So we pushed the car and came up to a light. i putt it in park started it up same thing as before. So then I tried one more time and this time smashed on the gas pedal, and what do ya know it started up and stayed on. but the amps were like at the first notch (8) the whole time, Even when I rev the motor to 3,500 rpms it only went up to the second notch. Would a bad alternator cause my motor to do that. I do have under drive pulleys and msd box. If my problem is the puleys would a bigger amp alternator(130amp) fix the problem. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:44 PM
highway21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need alternator/pulleys help!!!!!!

help
Old 01-19-2006, 01:43 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need alternator/pulleys help!!!!!!

Underdrive pulleys on an auto tranny car can prevent the alt from charging fully when idling around town and from a booming bad stereo. I would get the alt/charging system checked first and go from there. You may have an alternator getting weak and not fully charging too.