5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New guy here with a couple of

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:10 AM
JamieH

Default New guy here with a couple of

Hi all...glad to be here.I have notice that ya'll REALLY know what your all talking about,unlike me lol...here goes...i have a 1986 G.T.Convertable....it had 86,000 on it when i got it ...now has 96,000 on it....i am looking to do a few mods here and there,but with being married with kids and all...cant really do anything that costs alot if ya know what i mean.Would it make a big difference if i had my cat.converters cut off ?...would it be louder or a deeper sound ?...... also,i'm fixing to put stock 225/60 R15 tires back on it ...what are other mods that i can do that will help.....i changed the plugs and wires already &amp; fixing to change rotor &amp; distributor cap...any advice would be appreciated ....also,please dont abbreviate as it will be greek to me LOL,thanks guys ...Jamie </P>

</P>

also..can anyone tell me of bad things with this model as well that needs to be paid attention to....i dunno if the guy i bought it from was the original opwner or not...basically just asking you to tell me about my car lol..and another thing,when i fist crank it up in the mornings ...it will rev up &amp; down and then after a few secs of doing that,it will go off...then i have to re-start it ...then it does fine...thanks.</P><edited><editID>JamieH</editID><editDate>38012.0517592593</editDate></edited>
Old 01-26-2004, 03:27 AM
T5superduty
3rd Gear Member

it all depends on how much money you can afford to spend on your car... what is your max budget you can do for this car? Start there then we can help you..
Old 01-26-2004, 03:30 AM
JamieH

at the moment not much...prolly only like 200-400 right now ...thanks for your time...Jamie
Old 01-26-2004, 03:37 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

with 86 you have a set of horrible heads. your down on power compared to a 87 and up model.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:39 AM
JamieH

ohsoquik...where is a good place to check out heads and what kind would i need ?.... i know i prolly so like a dumbass lol...but i'm new to this whole thing and guess i gotta learn somewhere...thanks...Jamie
Old 01-26-2004, 03:39 AM
T5superduty
3rd Gear Member

It really depends on what you want to do. For that much you could hook up nitrous, headers,H pipe,exhaust,chip,intake,etc but basicly you gotta choose one of those. Could also save up a littl more and get some heads, stroker kits, you get the idea. What do you really want from your car... is this a daily driver ?</P>
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

hey bud, pick up some recent issues of muscle mustang and fast fords / 5.0 mustang and super fords. the last few months they did tests and comparisons on heads.

you can buy most heads from summit or jegs
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 AM
JamieH

T5 ...yes it is a daily driver ...also what is H pipe's ? ...also i am having my cat.converters cut off ...will this help any if at all ?...and what does a cold air kit run and is it worth it as well ?.....Jamie
Old 01-26-2004, 03:49 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dont cut off the cats. just buy a new offroad pipe.

a h or x pipe helps to even out the flow of the exhaust while adding some power to the dual exhaust setup. also affects the sound.

a true cold air kit is nice to have. they run around 150[neighborhood] the do help out but dont expect 15hp lol. when they post that it is with other mods.[they just dont tell you that]
Old 01-26-2004, 03:53 AM
JamieH

ohsoquik...thanks for the explanation lol..i live in mississippi,so we dont have any emmission laws here .... and a friend of mine said it would be better to cut them off....said something about them being stopped up or clogged ?...lol,man i dunno..let me know your opinion....thanks again...Jamie

Quick Reply: New guy here with a couple of