5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help with smog problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need help with smog problem!

from what i know they hook up a hose to the tail pipes and idle it then rev the engine a little to see the emissions
Old 01-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

you are one hell of a lucky guy if you dont have smog. I live in cali also and it sucks. Everyplace I take it too never really did the visual under the car. Just go into a shack not like a big name place and be nice and joke around. They most of the time will just say whatever about the visual and just test your car. Be nice and they, most of the time, will be too.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

well id fail it because when i floor it when im drivign or if i rev my car around 3500 rpms, i have white smoke that comes out my exhaust, my dad said its because of carbon build up in the engine. when i rev the car up i smell fuel, which means its burning rich so thats problem 2 i think my cars getting too much fuel, then problem #3, i know i have an exhaust leak or i believe so because i can smell it, thats problem 3, then problem 4, while i was flooring it my rpms went to 4500 and it wouldnt shift into the last gear(i have an automatic). then when i got to work something told me to look under the car when i did i seen a hose hanging, friend said it was my transmission hose, and its hanging low, then driving home i notice my speedometer is just sitting at 0, not working anylonger so i dont know what me flooring did but my transmission hose is hanging low and my speedometer isnt working, hopefully something just came lose or something, hopefully nothing big.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

lols damn man making me nevous=P... where would i be able to find cats for sale (im in the bay area)? and if those were put in would that fail the visual?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

just pay the person off, money makes anybody happy lol.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

You can go to pep boys and pick up a thing called SEA FOAM. It cleans out the carbon build up in the engine. You can take your brake booster line and pour it SLOWLY in there, becareful so your car doesnt die cause your putting a fluid and not air inside. You put in about 1/3 of the can and then turn your car off for about 5-10 minutes, then start it up and take it for a drive you wil have SO much white smoke coming out cause of it and thats the sea foam cleaning out the carbon build up. Also AEREON you can do this. It helps pass smog. Also Aereon you may want to do a tune up on the car. Change out the sparkplug's, get some better wires like accel or MSD, new cap and rotor, maybe even a MSD coil, change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter (or just clean it if you have a K&N), and put some fuel injector cleaner in the car for the first two fill ups (techron from chevron really works well). That should help you get a good start on the car.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

I need to do those tuneups too. maybe everything except the msd coil because i have no clue what that is.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

heh i'd like to do all of that but im a student on financial aid.. after the car and insurance i wont have much so tryna just get it emissions legal and slowly massage it back to health=P cause i'm soo in love with this beast^^
Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

i lucked out and found cheap insurance, im 20, im driving a 5.0 and my insurance is 94.20 a month. lol
Old 01-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

i'm 19 gonna turn 20 in june still lookin for cheap insurance..

Quick Reply: need help with smog problem!