5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ceramic or Chrome, how much difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ceramic or Chrome, how much difference?

huh? maybe u got sold some painted headers and thought they were coated. i have a bunch of friends that have ceramic coated headers and had em for a few years, they all still look shiny and brand new. i myself had a pair jet coated and u couldnt chip it with a hammer.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dude i know what im talking about. go look around at ceramic headers and see who all uses them. and i wouldnt buy ceramic for the price. stainless is probably the best way to go. ceramic just flakes off after heat cycles.

the coating lasts alittle longer then chrome ones but not much longer.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:20 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

how do the stainless ones compare to ceramic coated for prices? will the stainless change color like chrome does?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

ill tell u what ill snap a pic of my buddies headers (bbk long tubes ceramic coated) hes had em for over a year now and theyve been on and off the car a bunch of times. wont even wipe em clean.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

yes stainless turns more like a gold finish after a while. if you want looks then i dunno what ot tell you. cars are meant to go fast not look pretty
Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

uhm ok. im not going to get into a thing over it. im not trying to sell anything, just tellin what ive seen and experienced. ill still post those pics when i get em if u want. also might wanna check out jet hots website.

i think everyone is a lil into looks. why would everyone waste time cleaning and waxin their cars and then postin pics. cuz we all like it to look good and show off. who doesnt like to look good going fast.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:40 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

I've had a couple sets of chrome headers in the past and 1 set of ceramic. I had the ceramic for over a year and they stayed looking like they did new. The chrome ones also looked good for 2 years I had them...they did turn a little gold and blueish... but I think that looks awsome. I just ordered bbk chrome shorties last night to go in my project.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:52 PM
wyncameron

Thanks for all the info. on this as I was planning on buying new headers. Would you recomment short or long tubes ?? Also are they hard to change yourself or is this something you need to bring in to get done. I'm pretty handy with my hands.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

long or short depends on the power combo of the car. really no real advantage of longtubes over shortys untill youre up over 400hp
Old 02-05-2006, 09:29 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

I would say stick to the shorts and use the money left over to get a h-pipe. As for doing it yourself, I say go for it, get some PB Blaster to spray on those flange nuts to break them loose

Quick Reply: Ceramic or Chrome, how much difference?