5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need engine firing order

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
kallador

Default need engine firing order

hello all

i have a early 80's 5.0 HO in a 65 stang, car has a points distributer i have gaped the plugs @ 0.35 points set @ 0.20 timing will be 10deg btdc i believe is where that belongs changed the wires 1 at a time. the wires i used are the excell 8mm blue 1's and an excell super stock coil, i had a problem with the wire not going into the distributer cap so msd make's a attachment to convert the cap to a HEI style now they contact. my problem is i think my son or myself got a wire wrong. he done 1 side as i done the other we each only removed 1 wire at a time arghhhhh. car ran ok before we just wanted to give her a tuneup and new 4bbl 600cfm holly, engine was built with a 4bbl but the previus owner put a restrictor plate and 2 bbl on we just wanted to switch it back. so if any1 can point me in the proper direction for a firing order diagram mucho thx ()
Old 02-05-2006, 07:40 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need engine firing order

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the firing order for 5.0 h.o engines
Old 02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
kallador

thx buddy
Old 02-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

And on the cap the rotation is counter clockwise.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:31 AM
kallador

the cap rotation is counter clockwise thx i knew this ok few wires where mixed up, still wont fire i noticed on the old plugs they are gaped @ .45 if my current gap is .35 will this make the car not start ???
Old 02-06-2006, 12:44 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

this shouldnt make it not run are you sure the gap on the points is set on the high side of the dist cam and after you tighten the screw double check not saying you didnt set them right but they tend to move a little when tightening the screw just make sure didnt close the gap also not sure if aware but on points if leave key on without running for period of time in will burn the points good luck hope this helps if not someone might find it useful just bored and felt like responding to this one
Old 02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
kallador

ok guys this has really got me stumped, ive honestly done hunderds of tune ups and never experinced my problem.
car specs
1965 stang
seems like 1984 5.0 HO 4 bbl engine { car's previous owner's husband took the 4 bbl off and put a 2 bbl on boooo } person who helped build the car says engine is early 80's 5.0/302. plug position in the heads are passanger side they point towards front of car on drivers side the point towards firewall.
has a MSD multiple spark discharge box on firewall
as said above i just wanted to put a tuneup new plugs points condensor rotar cap wires and coil, then put this brand new holly 4160 600cfm back on her
so at first i had i plug wire wrong for sure my son who this car belongs to was helping me and it was on his side, hence my wanting the firing order for the engine
there seems to be 2 firing orders for the 5.0 engines 1 is for a standard 5.0 other is for the 5.0 HO according to chiltons repair manual on 79-88 mustang/capri
ive tried this firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 = 5.0 HO
ok points gap is 0.20 and stays after fully tight
plugs 0.45
all wires are secure i had problems with the excell 8mm blue wires fiting into the distrubtor cap so i got some MSD power towers makes a old style cap look HEI. i changed the fittings/boots on the wires even bought the crimper for the wires inserted power tower into wire securly then into cap. thought maybe the connector or 2 came off wire when we pulled wire back into boot so i got another new set this time duralast 8mm wires premade

right now i have no spark to the coil when i changed out the coil i replaced the wires just as before, ok i pull the coil wire from the dist cap hold it against the engine block and i get nothing no spark no hey wth little jolt lmao nadda ???? the car just turns over dosent want to fire and it was running ok before. what brings the power to the coil would the voltage regulator cause this problem ??? pls help thx

srry this is kinda long but i need to let yall know what ive done so i can hopefully get the proper answer thx again positive Karma for all
Old 02-08-2006, 08:37 PM
kallador

BTW i did exchange the excell super stock coil for a HD borg warner they where same price 29.99$ also added a new condensor thinking the other new1 was faulty any guru have any suggestions. as to why there is no spark at the coil like i said all was ok before i started the tuneup
Old 02-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Well, what all did you replace/remove when you did the "tune up"?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
kallador

replaced old Bosh spark plugs with new autolite platinum plugs gaped @ 45
replaced old distributor cap rotar points gap@ 20 and condensor, with all new even got another new condensor maybe other new1 was bad
replaced the very old MSD coil with a new excell super stock thought maybe bad so then a new hd borg warner was same price as excell
replaced very old yellow 8mm excell wires 7 where 8mm and 1- 7mm mallory lol with new excell 8mm blue super stock resistor wires. they wouldnt fit into the stock cap so i bought msd power towers changed the ends i put onto the wires to the other HEI kind of connector even bought the crimper tool for the wires. ok thought a wire maybe pulled loose when i pulled the boot back over the end so i got new premaid wires by duralast they are 8mm also.

when i turn ingnition in the on position not tryn to start the car and open the points with a screw driver i have no spark
when i disconnect the coil to distributor spark type wire and place it against the engine its clean i have no spark or feel no jolt really confussed all the car dose is turn over but wont fire

the car isnt a nasty old dog looker lol http://www.g-funk.net/mustang.html

Quick Reply: need engine firing order