5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

head questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:45 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

Default head questions

im looking to order a set of heads for my car. ive basically decided on the afr 165cc...but im a compleet nüb when it comes to a lot of car stuff. pretty much learning as i go. so i was wondering if any of yous mustang maestros out there could help me out with a couple questions.

-stud/pedestal mount --what exactly do i need to know about this in reference to a 1983 engine, which is better¿
-58cc/61cc --whats the difference here, obviously 61 is bigger, but what does this number refer to, and what are the benifits of one over the other¿
--my car is already desmogified, are the non emissions ok to get

--is the 185 too much head for a daily driven, carbd vehicle¿

im probably going to get them from this place, decent price + free shipping....any comments, better deals¿

does anybody have any personal experience with the afrs and a different brand, edel, tw, etc...if so what did/didnt you like about the heads in comparison¿ if all you have had done was gone from stock to aftermarket, no need to tell me a certain brand was a vast improvement over stock....ive got the stock 83 heads on my engine, e7s would be a vast improvement over what i have now.

any other useful info is appreciated. thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 02:58 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: head questions

I'd get stud mount and buy some roller rocker to use with them. I'd definately get the 58cc and not the 61cc. It's not so much the compression issue as it is the chamber design. I do not believe the AFR 185 is too much for a daily driven carb car. And 185s for $11 more? Go with those. Is this an aftermarket shortblock or stock shortblock though? The 185s don't work on stock shortblock from 87-up. I don't know about an 83 motor.

As far as all the other heads go, I prefer a Twisted Wedge and because it's cheaper and I think they work just as well on most combos. The AFR 185s will do a little better though on more aggressive combos comparing both heads OTB.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

i did notice the price difference between the afrs , usually around 1300-1400, and edels and tws, both around 1000-1100.

i assumed this was due to the cnc machining done to the afrs. does this justify the 300$¿
Old 02-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Jared_blown5.0
3rd Gear Member

talk to pro mustang preformance, he will tell you everything you need to know, and he also offers comp cams brand head called rhs, and the rhs is equivelent to the afr 165 cc.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jared_blown5.0

talk to pro mustang preformance, he will tell you everything you need to know, and he also offers comp cams brand head called rhs, and the rhs is equivelent to the afr 165 cc.
But let it be noted, the are simliar in flow but because of the 2.02" inline valve won't fit a stock shortblock like a AFR 165.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:30 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

I'd get stud mount and buy some roller rocker to use with them. I'd definately get the 58cc and not the 61cc. It's not so much the compression issue as it is the chamber design. I do not believe the AFR 185 is too much for a daily driven carb car. And 185s for $11 more? Go with those. Is this an aftermarket shortblock or stock shortblock though? The 185s don't work on stock shortblock from 87-up. I don't know about an 83 motor.

As far as all the other heads go, I prefer a Twisted Wedge and because it's cheaper and I think they work just as well on most combos. The AFR 185s will do a little better though on more aggressive combos comparing both heads OTB.

you may need to notch the pistons for the 2.02 intake valve, but I personally have a set of AFR 185's on my stock rebuild shortblock, but I do have some speedpro pistons though.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt
you may need to notch the pistons for the 2.02 intake valve, but I personally have a set of AFR 185's on my stock rebuild shortblock, but I do have some speedpro pistons though.
That's all it takes. They have larger valve reliefs than stock.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:44 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

how come the afr 185s don' fit on a stock shortblock?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: razarr69

how come the afr 185s don' fit on a stock shortblock?
The 2.02" inline intake valve will not clear the factory valve relief. The only 2.02" valve head that will work is a Twisted Wedge because of it's design.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

You should consider a set of RHS 180s. They flow better than the AFR 165s and offer more power right out of the box.

"-stud/pedestal mount --what exactly do i need to know about this in reference to a 1983 engine, which is better¿ "

Stud mount will offer more strength and reliability.

"-58cc/61cc --whats the difference here, obviously 61 is bigger, but what does this number refer to, and what are the benifits of one over the other¿ "

This refers to the chamber size. The larger the chamber size, the lower the compression. If you plan on going with any form of forced induction in the future, go with the larger chamber. If not, the smaller will give you more power right now.

"--is the 185 too much head for a daily driven, carbd vehicle¿ "

Yes

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd like to help.

Quick Reply: head questions