5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake Manifold Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Myfetang
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake Manifold Install

Hey everyone, in about a month or so I should be getting the Stang back. At that time I would like to put in the new Intake Manifold. I would like your ideas on if I should do it myself or if taking it to a shop would be a better idea. I was quoted 3 hours for the work from a local shop. Obviously I would love to do it myself, but honestly I don't know very much about mechanics at all. I understand that doing it myself would be a great way to learn, but I don't trust my work as of yet. So if someone knows of any tech articles or anything else that could help, I'd appreciate it...Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/27891/D17721F0752042C798590804496AFEBF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27891/AFE88D956A2A4DD59A73A1AFC6407160.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake Manifold Install

Simple to do it, just take your time and make sure you know what the Torque specs are.

Dont forget to use good gaskets. Felpros are good.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Nice lookin' who polished it? The biggest thing you have to worry about are,
The intake bolts in all 4 corners. They go into the coolant passages and tend to get stubborn upon removal. May even break. Becareful there.
removing and reinstalling the distributor. Make sure the engine is on TDC (top dead center) and note where the rotor is pointing before removal.
Vacuum lines. You are installing a manifold that is different from the oe. Some of the vacuum lines will now be connected to different places.

If you have any buddies that have done this before, it may help to have 1 or 2 around to help you out.

Good luck!!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:03 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You will never trust yourself if you dont try. It's really not that hard and its actually a really good project to start learning. Not physically difficult and you just have to use your head a little bit. Try it out. Were always here is you have questions
Old 02-17-2006, 10:06 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Swaping my intake was the first engine problem I undertook. I found that 90% of working on cars is remembering how it went back together. Take pictures and make sure you label your vacuum lines and such. If you don't get the engine to top dead center it is fairly easy to get back on track. Just have a buddy bump the engine, take the spark plug out of the number one cylinder, feel for the piston to come directly to the top, and set your rotor toward the number 1 cylinder. You should have no problems. Be careful with the corner intake bolts especially and also be careful removing the EGR Valve if it is rusted. There is an EGR bypass valve that could snap pretty easily. If it does, it gives you a good reason to buy new headers...the headers come with the bypass valve.
D
Old 02-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

you can do it. just take ur time and listen to what the other guys have said.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com//Detailed/614.shtml
Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Awesome link!!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:02 AM
fastfox86
2nd Gear Member

Go for it man. Almost everything I know I learned from trying it out. I won't say it's easy, cuz it just depends on skill level and experience. There are people on here that are so good at working on cars (not me) that something that seems simple to them may still be a little hard for others, so if at some point you are doing the project and you find yourself saying, "what the f*ck, this is a pain" please forgive us. It's definitely something good to learn on and if you don't know how something comes apart or goes back together, just hop on here and ask questions before you take a guess and mess something up. Just take your time and be patient. It's best if you can do it when you know you won't need the car for a while, in case something goes wrong or you get stalled. I don't know what your tool selection looks like, but keep in mind a project like this might require a few trips to the auto store for tools or miscellaneous parts. Especially those little fuel line disconnectors. Good luck. I hope it all works well for you.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

^ +1
well its not a walk in the park but its not too hard
it was my first time doing anything to my car and
i did it w/ the help of my dad, but good luck on it
Old 02-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Myfetang
2nd Gear Member

You guys! Thank you SO much for all the help...this is the exact reason of why I joined this site! Again thank you so much and I appreciate the positive comments and the reinforcement of me doing it myself. I will definitely be on here if I am questioning anything during my install...I'll also be sure to let you all know how it went too. BTW that tech link looks great! Oh and a quick comment. We were in my buddy's 97 Talon tonight, and we got SPANKED by a SS Cobalt! (It was fast!) We were disappointed, thought we would have had him. Anyway take care and Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Install