5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Am I running too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Nevada95
1st Gear Member

Default Am I running too hot?

I got a 95 GT.
When driving home, I notice that my temp guage is right along the left edge of the line for "hot."
So far I have had no problems and the guage hasn't quite hit the overheat mark. I am concerned because it has been pretty cool out, but the 120 degree summer is right around the corner.

I am also looking at adding headers soon but have been hesitant because I have been told they will increase my engine bay temp and I am wondering if this will cause problems with overheating.

Is this something I should be concerned with and if so, what type of things should I be looking at replacing? I was told that a new thermostat may be all I need to solve my problems. I know the fan is working because I can hear it come on. I had the radiator flushed and checked for leaks it seems to be fine.

Any ideas or does this seem normal?

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Am I running too hot?

Yeah a t-stat would be a good place to start. Where does it generally run? Electric fan or mechanical? Notice it more at idle or under cruise?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:02 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

that seems way too high to me. My needle never goes past like 1/3 from cool. Maybe the gauge is messed?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Nevada95
1st Gear Member

This is about where the needle is always at while I am cruising. Every once in awhile it drops down to about 1/3 of the way through the guage.

The fan is a bit strange. There is a switch under the steering wheel console that turns it off and on, but it seems to turn on fine based on temp even with the switch in the off positiion. Previous owner said it was there when he bought it and he just always left the switch in the off position.

Only notice it when I am cruising.
I guess I will look at a t-stat then to get me started and see if it changes anything.
Any good places to pick one of these up? I hear that a 180 degree is good idea?

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

yeah the 180 is a good thermo for our cars
Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

first thing you need is a real temp gauge, the stocker is not going to tell you much, it might be messed up as well.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

my gauge didnt work so went out and got one from advanced auto parts and my car only gets up to about 170* and thats because my van is always spinning cause the clutch is shot better a little cool than too hot
Old 03-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Nevada95
1st Gear Member

What do you suggest as far as a "real" guage? where do I measure from? I am expecting the guage on the dash may be screwed up now.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

you could also have a short in the fan relay. it happined to me before. itll short out but sometimes it would work normal.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:16 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Also, have you replaced the rad cap? Small pinhole leaks in the cooling system have been known to let air into the system. Then the air forms pockets that can cause temp spikes.
I assume a 50/50 glycol mix?
Are the stock lower rubber mounting isolators for the radiator still in place? Removing these has been known to cause similar problems due to lowering the radiator.

Below is a write up I did a while back and saved for such an occasion.
There is no reason to run a 160F stat!
Here is an explanation of how hotter is better (to a point naturally).
Everything in the combustion chamber, including fuel, air, cylinder walls, piston, and valves, will take on heat during combustion. The heat is what causes the air trapped in the combustion chamber to expand. The expansion of the heated gasses is what pushes on the piston. If you are putting more and more heat into the cylinder walls because the coolant keeps taking away heat, then you lose power and efficiency.

There are trade-offs. Cooler intake air is denser in O2, but it will soak up more heat energy before it may combust. Obviously running too hot will destroy the motor.
The best answer for power/efficiency is probably the stock 195F stat, but 180F seems to be everyone elses favorite, as a happy compromise.

And not to be understated: consider that as coolant temperatures decrease, cylinder bore wear will increase exponentially. That means that a relatively small drop in coolant temp will result in much more rapid bore wear.

jason

Quick Reply: Am I running too hot?