5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Newbie with questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:57 PM
BAT

Default Newbie with questions....

Hi all,

I'm new to the Mustang world and have a few questions. First, I don't yet have a Mustang but am looking at two right now. One is an '88 GT 'vert and the other is a '93 5.0 LX 'vert. The LX looks great and the seller says it needs nothing. The GT however has a small list of mods, quoted from the ad....

" Has BBK mufflers, BBK h pipe with cats, Aftermarket header, CAI, LX taillights.Auto tranny. 105,000mi. New top and Paint. Needs interior. rust free "

My questions are, is the interior expensive to replace? How available are the parts? Etc. Are there certain signs I should look for?
I'm leaning towards the GT as the price is $1800 less than the LX.

I've read a few other threads and don't dare post the links to these cars as someone will buy it from under me! [sm=icon_beat.gif] OK, maybe not.... but it wouldn't be funny if someone did. Anyway, the GT is listed for $3k and the LX for $4800. Based on what I've read.... these seem to be good prices!

I'm looking at these as a second vehicle. My "everyday" ride is a Chevy Avalanche. I'm actually trying to find a car that I can drive the majority of the time as my truck only gets about 11.5 to 12 MPG. What can I expect for mileage on the above mentioned cars??? I assume better than the 12's I'm getting now. Thanks to all that reply and try to help me out.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 PM
BAT

Default RE: Newbie with questions....

lets see if I can post a pic of the two....

Old 02-23-2006, 01:28 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ok check it out..... i would take the lx hands down for a number of reasons.

first off , if it has not been faked, that is a limited edition convertible. (you can tell by the spoiler and white wheels)

If it has been faked you can tell by the vin , and options on the data tags.

2nd, is the '93 a 5-speed ?

you really don't want an automatic , the aod is about the worst transmission ever made.

it is horribly geared, has very weak parts ( od band specifically ) and is a power robbing piece of junk ( my opinion from owning 2 aod cars and 3 5-speed cars) comparably equipped aod will run 1/2 - 3/4 seconds slower than a 5-speed (5-7 carlenths)

anyways, to give you an idea...they have a 2.40 1st gear compared to a 3.35 in a 5-speed, what does that mean???
an aod needs a 3.73 rear end gears , to have the equivalent 1st gear of a 5-speed car w/ stock 2.73's (and is still less actually)

my '90 GT aod went 14.40's in the 1/4 w/ 3.73 cheater slicks, gt40 intake, fms headers, and dynomax catback.
my '90 'vert aod w/ 3.73's went 15.10 on street tires and 13.60's w/ 100 shot zex nitrous
my '89 notch 5-speed went 13.60's bone stock , just 4.10's and cheater slicks.

anyways, if the white 'vert is an aod , i would still take that one just cuz it's a limited edition (1,500 made total)

i used to have a '90 limited edition which is what that car is based on, '92 had a limited edition in red, about 2,00 total, and '93 had 2 different limiteds...the white one, and a yellow one w/ chrome wheels, that also had 1500 made total.

the few mods on the '88 aren't worth having to replace the interior.

and since he isn't really specific, i bet you'll have to deal w/ broken existing pieces, or missing hardware that will be another added expense.

mileage on a bone stock 5-speed can be close to 24 mpg on the freeway, and about 16-18 in town.
it does drop cosiderably w/ steep gears though, 4.10's will get you about 18 freeway and maybe 13 in town

anyways, post what you decide.... or any other questions you have.

i'm no expert, but i have been through a few 5.0's

Old 02-23-2006, 01:36 PM
BAT

Well that was a mouth full.... thanks!

Both the GT and LX are auto's. To be honest, I don't plan on racing or anything like that, not even a trip down the track to see what she can do. Not to mention my wife will "allow" a toy as long as she can drive it too. And no, she can't drive a stick.

I must say I do like the sounds of the LX as it seems more "pure" if you will. However, again my wife has to have an input with this and she likes the GT.... I assume because it's not white. (we have three white vehicles now and she doesn't want another one). Either way, thanks for the help and I'll keep you all posted as to what I end up buying.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:36 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

that....AND the '88 was speed-density unless they converted it to mass-air. BUT, the '93's also went to hypereutectic pistons, which cost less and arent quite as good for performance.......but, it is a special edition, so, i really wouldnt WANT to mod that one any to take away its value.........id say get the '88......that way, you wont feel bad about modding a GT, and not a special edition....let us know what you decide
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

by the way...that was supposed to be 2,000 total for the '92 limited......2,019 to be exact. i missed a zero in the above post.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:29 PM
BAT

OK..... the other two mentioned are now out. I did however find an '87 convertible.... price seems fair but my question is this.....

here's a copy of the reply I got from the seller as far as what's wrong with this one ('87 GT convertible)

The items it would need are probally a new IdleAirContrl which is located on the throttlebody, The headlites do not work the car had an alarm that i removed and now they dont seem to work?????But the parkinglites do. The car probally needs to be tuned as far as timiming etc. other than that the car drives straight and strong goes through gears good and has plenty of power.For the age it is in very good condition.There is a little rust on the underside of the floor near the pass and drivers side that is not totally through but it would be a good idea to address it soon and thats about it

Are these items easy to fix? More so the headlight issue? Anyone have this happen before? Thanks again for the insight.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
BAT

Here's the latest GT I'm looking at....

Old 02-27-2006, 06:35 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Spend the extra $1800. Get the 93. You'll be glad later you did!!! Plus the car's 6 years newer.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
BAT

The KID selling the '93 didn't seem to thrilled on getting me some more detailed pics as I requested then said to me after I asked "bottom" line....... "I don't need to sell it, price is firm".... then why list OBO after the asking price??
Anyway, it left a bad taste in my mouth so I've kept the search on.

Quick Reply: Newbie with questions....