5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Potentially big problem??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
91fox

Default Potentially big problem??

Ok, so i bought this 91lx 5.0, i was told that he put 3.73 gears in it. Took it to a shop to have some stuff looked at(not specifically the rearend) and the guy said you might want to check your rear end out. They said something bout they could turn the rear wheels like almost a 1/2 turn before anything caught and that i should have it rebuilt. Well i knew the person i bought it off of and i knew he just put the gears in and new axles cause i was with him when he blew the rearend out at a local track. Keep in mind, i was told this was 3.73 gears with a posi. Well, the other day i parked in my buddys driveway, its on a hill. I put the car in gear, and turned the car off, didnt think bout puttin the ebrake on. Came out like 5 mins later, my car was at the end of the driveway!! Any suggestions on y this happened??
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Potentially big problem??

Well, is it making any noise? I would think if it was that bad there would be a lot of racket back there.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

When theres that much backlash you normally feel the pinion gear smack the ring gear when you start to move.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:54 PM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

Your spacing is incorrect. You could end up blowing the rear end. Have it redone. Whoever did it, did not space the gears corectly. Now you have a huge backlash.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:02 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

How far did this thing move in the driveway? Is the car an auto or a 5spd? There is now way the car could move more than a foot because that would be physically impossible to have that much lash.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

how do you know it is in the ring and pinnion? your spider gears could be really warn and a lil extra play in the ring and pinnion.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:21 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Could be but if things were that loose it would gring and bang and most likely not even move anywhere. The noise woulbe be violent enough to cause you to park it and check it out. That is of course it doesn't have a killer stereo in it.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:39 PM
91fox

Well, is it making any noise?
Nope, none that i know of...

When theres that much backlash you normally feel the pinion gear smack the ring gear when you start to move.
I dont feel anything when i start to move...

How far did this thing move in the driveway? Is the car an auto or a 5spd? There is now way the car could move more than a foot
Probally about 6-7ft i would guess[sm=dontgetit.gif] Its a 5speed, and it did move more than a foot...

Dont have a stereo, and no real loud noise from anything. The only noise i can attest to is when im downshifting in low rpms (like 1100-1300), especially in 4th-3rd and 3rd-2nd, i get this noise that sounds like its coming from my tranny like something is catching and jerking. Like something is out of place and then it catches or something like that, hard to explain. But i would think that wouldnt have anything to do with my rear end....[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 AM
the carpenter

Cluch poblm's
Old 02-28-2006, 06:17 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Here is a thought. If the clutch is going south in it it will slip some and here is a little test. Park it in the same drive way and face it down hile. Shhut the car off and place it in second gear. Stay in it and have a coupples guys push on it to see if it will move down the drive way. Don't push hard enough to damage body parts and do not push on the rear bumper as it will damage the paint. If the car does not hold in place you got a weak clutch on its way out.

Quick Reply: Potentially big problem??