5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Long Term Plans for 88 GT - Update with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Default Long Term Plans for 88 GT - Update with Pics

I am the proud owner of an 88 GT Hatchback that is completely stock. I bought it about a year ago as a project car and after kicking around a bunch of ideas and doing as much reading as possible, I have come to some conclusions about what my goals are going to be. Basically I am trying to put together a street car that will not be a daily driver, but could be if it wanted to. Here is what I have come up with:

Engine:
Ford 408 Stroker from T&L Engine Development
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-Fo...2927QQtcZphoto

Trans:
I am thinking a Tremec TKO 600

Body:
The car that I bought was obviously in a front end collsion. Both inner fender aprons are wrinkled, and I am betting the radiator core support is also twisted or bent. With that in mind, I am thinking I will replace those three pieces with new sheet metal. In terms of overall appearance, I am planning on going with a 2.5" Cowl hood. The color scheme I have in mind is going to be a 2 tone job. Silver bottom with a dark blue upper half. Then I am thinking I will do 2 silver racing stripes front to back over the blue as a way to try to bring the look I am going for together.

Suspension:
Obviously with that much power, the suspension must be addressed. I am planning doing the typical things, such as new springs, upper/lower control arms, subframe connectors, etc.

I am thinking that to get the whole thing done I am looking at the following expenses:
-Engine $5500
-Trans $2000
-Body Work/Paint $5000
-Suspension $3000

I am probably looking at a timeline of 5-10 years to get everything I want done, while not putting me into debt. (At least too much debt) I am just wondering what opinions you have out there. I know that my figures are extremely rough and don't count things such as all necessary components for installation/upgraded components that I haven't probably even considered yet.

As for now, I am taking the car off the road and putting it in my garage. That way I can slowly tool with things as I see fit and save more money to put towards the car's future.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:00 PM
blackstang2887
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Long Term Plans for 88 GT - Opinions Welcome

i think you could get the body work and paint done for under 5000 but otherwise that looks like its gonna be a sweet car, keep us posted
Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

sounds really sweet dude. just make sure you dont have any serious frame damage, that could mess up the entire nose.

but you have a really good plan and goal to shoot for.

keep us updated
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

with what he is describing i wouldn't be surprised if the body work doesn't cost more than 5g's. i bet u the paintjob alone would be around 3500+
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

Why not buy the new Boss 302 coming out mid 07 from Ford?
(That's what I want to drop in my 87 GT)

Swirl
Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Its only money right. Actually yeah, I went by my body shop and talked to my guy who said I should plan on 4000 to do everything. So I figured I was safe to say 5000 to allow for "unexpected issues" But all in all, if it cost more than 5k, thats ok. I am sure many of you would agree that if you going to do something, do it right. Not to mention there is nothing worse than skimping a little bit and then everytime you look at your car, you only think about what you wish you had done, rather than appreciate what is done.

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

with what he is describing i wouldn't be surprised if the body work doesn't cost more than 5g's. i bet u the paintjob alone would be around 3500+
Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
mypony89
1st Gear Member

I think Jaspers right about the cost of the paint plus the collision repair.
Nice plan though, stick with it.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

hey if ur ever in ky and want some bodywork/ paintjob done in 2yrs let me know thats what i am going to school for i'll cut u a deal
Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

You know what they say, there is no replacement for displacement. Plus I like the idea of doing the 408 and having the stronger block. But I will admit, I am not familiar with the Boss 302 that you are talking about. I am basing my decision more on what I have read from people regarding the never ending 347 vs 351 question. I want to have 400+ hp to the rear wheels, and from everything I gathered, that is pushing it on a 302 block.

ORIGINAL: Swirl

Why not buy the new Boss 302 coming out mid 07 from Ford?
(That's what I want to drop in my 87 GT)

Swirl
Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

why not use a cleveland. jk, but for real that car sounds nasty, good luck with everything, and oh yea i hope u get it done within the budget, but that never seems to work out. lol

Quick Reply: Long Term Plans for 88 GT - Update with Pics